• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Halfstock Flintlock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhs

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm interested in building a very compact flintlock for deer hunting in thick brush. Are there any short-barreled, halfstock flintlock rifles that are at least historically possible?

The Brits made half stock sporting flitlocks in both rifles and fowlers. Pedersoli has some replicas of same.

The Harper's Ferry 1803 model comes to mind as a good compromise. Historically accurate, plentiful, etc. Might have been available as surplus after the next US model came out?

I have to check the specifics on the trade rifles during the fur trade era but am pretty sure the late English model was flint and halfstock.

A lot of New England riles 1810+ were half stocks.I built one last year.Walnut stock,Chambers Late Ketland lock,36" barrel.The ribs on these were made of hickory instead of metal.I used a straight barrel but just got a tapered barrel for the next one.
Mitch

You have to recalibrate your mind when speaking of a short barreled pc rifle. At that time 32" to 39" was a short barrel. Yes they had halfstock flinters much to some of my counterparts dissmay. (Thats why they call me halfstock) I have a real preferance for the 1/2 stock over a full stock. lots of so called sothern mountain and tennessee rifles were flinters to begin with and then converted to percussion. If your ever in or around Claremore,Oklahoma stop in at the Davis Gun museum and take a gander at quite a few.
Halfstock :m2c: :hmm: ::

Boy you have got that right about what passed for a short barrel.

I have an original half stock (approx .45 cal.) slightly tapered barrel that is 41 3/4" inches long, and that was after several inches had been cut off at the breech. The known history of the barrel as related to me was: It was found on a ranch in ND doing yeoman service as a Spanish windlass for tightening a barb wire fence.

The breech had been driven into the earth and was severely rusted, (amazingly the rest of the barrel is in in pretty good shape, so I suspect wrought iron) the guy who found it hacksawed off the rusted portion and for some fool reason chiseled the under rib off (no sign it was ever anything but a half stock) which was held on with six screws. It was held to the half stock fore end with only one under lug, the bottom three flats under the half stock appear to have been rather crudely ground, with the rest of the barrel flats filed smooth. It had a silver blade front sight (gone, but filed smooth and shows how it was done) inletted directly into the center of top flat, the rear sight is missing

I wish I could have seen the breech to have determined if it was a flint or nipple gun.

I have an original Ryan&Watson 16Guage half stocked English fowler with a[url] 43.5in[/url]. oct/rnd swamped barrel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the replies. Were there ever Hawken style halfstocks with a flintlock?

Back