• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Halfstock swamped

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Don't believe I have ever seen nor heard of a swamped barrel being used in a hook breeched halfstocked rifle.

Have I been under a rock this whole time? šŸ˜

If not then why not I'm wondering. I know the tapered barrel would be challenging to fit an under rib onto tho.

Don't believe I have ever seen nor heard of a swamped barrel being used in a hook breeched halfstocked rifle.

Have I been under a rock this whole time? šŸ˜

If not then why not I'm wondering. I know the tapered barrel would be challenging to fit an under rib onto tho.

The underrib would need to be hollow and capped, not very common but Iā€™ve seen them

Interesting, did not think about a hollow rib. I thought about taking a grinder on a solid underrib to custom fit it so as to be able to countersink the thimble into the rib. Be a custom fit for sure.

The half stock rifles became popular after the ability to use the deep drilling of a straight hole in a barrel blank. Barrels were tapered, but no longer swamped. The under rib could be readily attached to these straight tapered bores. Use of the hollow under rib reduced weight of the barrel and reasonable handling remained. Of course, the Hawken brothers used thick barrel walls so a weight of 10 pounds or more was common in their plains rifles.

Cool. I have had a 40 cal swamped barrel around for awhile and have contemplated buildin a half stock from it. Maybe an English style and possibly just cut the flair off the Muzzle end. Then it would be just a tapered barrel. It is Oct to round but I think it would make a fine small bore rifle and light enough to be a real pleasure to pack around.

Believe it to be a round bottom Colorane barrel and quite long so the end amputation would hurt nothing.

Interesting, did not think about a hollow rib. I thought about taking a grinder on a solid underrib to custom fit it so as to be able to countersink the thimble into the rib. Be a custom fit for sure.

You see hollow under ribs on older guns where the forearm had been damaged or worn away from use and age. You also often see on guns with straight barrels because it reduces the weight dramatically. Muzzleloader builder supply has them, originals were a sheet metal that could easily be formed to the shape of the barrel, swamped or tapered.

1719955046161.jpeg

Alexander Henry (Scotland) built in 1860ā€™s has a Swamped barrel, but not a lot. About 1/16ā€ occurring about 10-12ā€ from muzzle on this 36ā€ bbl.

Hollow ribs were very common on nice British work in the 19th Century.
FlinterNick cross-section picture is spot on.
IMG_4432.jpeg

So now the decisions need to be made. I have not used this barrel because it is an A contour barrel and I've had difficulty finding an A contour stock for it's 44 inch length.

FOUND one finally. Thanks to the reference to MBS. They carry one. In black walnut no less.

So now the decision making begins. Kinda want an English style rifle but a southern mountain style would be very cool too.

Guess maybe I need to be building 2 rifles now

Rifles were often built with parts from wrecked or worn out guns.
I have seen a good number of half stocks built with swamped barrels that were salvaged from a wreck.
I own two such rifles. The rib is simply soldered to the bottom flat of the barrel.

If you want something a bit different think about using wood. I've seen it on many old originals where the forearm had been removed and the rifle rebuilt as a half stock. The wood rib is easily contoured to fit the barrel and often pinned to the existing lugs. Thimbles pinned to the rib. Looks cool and much simpler than soldering a hollow rib.

If you want something a bit different think about using wood. I've seen it on many old originals where the forearm had been removed and the rifle rebuilt as a half stock. The wood rib is easily contoured to fit the barrel and often pinned to the existing lugs. Thimbles pinned to the rib. Looks cool and much simpler than soldering a hollow rib.
The half stock LH I have pictured has a wood under rib.

Alexander Henry (Scotland) built in 1860ā€™s has a Swamped barrel, but not a lot. About 1/16ā€ occurring about 10-12ā€ from muzzle on this 36ā€ bbl.

Hollow ribs were very common on nice British work in the 19th Century.
FlinterNick cross-section picture is spot on.
View attachment 331589
That sure looks like a LOT more than a 1/16" increase in diameter from the smallest part of he barrel (above the sling ring) up to the muzzle...a lot more than 1/16"

Back