• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hammer down on a percussion musket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gettysburg63

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Was wondering if it would hurt the hammer if I kept the hammer 1/2 cock on my musket. Or should I add a piece of leather between the hammer and nipple

Welcome.

Why have to do either? Are you carrying it around most of the time!?

We're talking about an empty (unloaded) gun, right? It won't harm the hammer or nipple to keep them in contact, just don't drop the hammer on the nipple of an unloaded gun by pulling the trigger. And no reason to keep it at half cock unless the gun is loaded.

I keep the hammers down. Small piece of oiled patch over the nipple of my Zouave. On my Hawkins I use one of those cone shaped black plastic faucet washers. Even works for dry firing those.

PS why is this in smoothbore?

May be it is a smoothbore . Anyway storeing a gun on 1/2 cock will put stress on the main spring ,only need 1/2 cock if carrying the gun loaded and then it is better with a nipple cover over the nipple and cap ala Endfield .

Latest posts

Back