• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hammer position while hunting with a percussion rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jo

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Quick question how should one carry a loaded percussion rifle, with the hammer down or on halfcock?
Thanks
Blackpowderbilly.

I carry mine half cocked...although it is not a true safety, I do believe it to be safer than the hammer all the way down on the cap. As long as you are conscience about your muzzle direction....you shouldn't have to worry.

Hammer down, but, I put a piece of thickish leather between the hammer and the cap. I've tested the set up by trying to fire the gun with the leather on the cap. since the leather is larger than the cap and the hammer contact face, I haven't been able to get the gun to fire.

My deer rifle has the half cock set so that the hammer is about 1/16 above the cap. This prevents the cap from coming off with out having the hammer rest on the cap. :hmm:

Flintlocks I carry at half cock with a leather stall on the frizzen. Percussions I leave the hammer down on the uncapped nipple until I have game in sight. Then I cap and carry at half cock. If I don't get a shot I remove the cap. I've had a Cap Cover from October Country for years but have never used it. It seems like it would be the safest way to carry a capped gun.

Spot on brother! Kap kover in my opinion is the only safe way to carry a percussion rifle if capped. I had two unexpected discharges with my Lyman Gpr and it scared several years off me.

Too many variables when you are scrambling up a scrubby hillside or sliding down a muddy one. Stay safe.

Thanks to all of you for the help. Usually I put my rifle on half clock but, I do like the thick leather between the hammer and cap idea. I will agee with you on muzzle discipline. Never point a firearm, muzzleloader or modern at anything you are not willing to destroy.
Blackpowderbilly

snubnose57 said:
I use the leather over the cap, hammer down also.

Something similar, but I have a 3/4"x3/4" square of rubber cut from a truck inner tube that I put over the cap then lower the hammer. The square is tied to the trigger guard with a 6" piece of waxed linen cord, and it falls to the side when I cock the gun. Keep yer powder dry.......robin :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
A leather cap holder could be made with a short lanyard to hang off some of the rifle's furniture.

Maybe off the trigger guard or between ramrod thimbles.

It should be just long enough to reach the nipple of the rifle.

Two small pieces of semi-stiff leather glued and stitched together at the outside edges with one of the leather pieces having a few holes drilled just large enough to accommodate a cap or caps with a friction fit.

This way the rifle can be carried completely uncapped.

I have seen these in flower shapes and a leaf shape might look good too.

When it comes time to take a shot put the rifle at half cock, cap it with the leather capper and take the other step to commit the shot.

I made a safety using a leather disk sent from Ohio Ramrod's custom punch and found it stuck to the hammer more often than not. Couldn't trust that.

When I'm alone I carry it half-cocked and capped. When anyone else is along, I cap it when we separate, uncap it when we're together.

Sandan027 said:
Hammer down, but, I put a piece of thickish leather between the hammer and the cap. I've tested the set up by trying to fire the gun with the leather on the cap. since the leather is larger than the cap and the hammer contact face, I haven't been able to get the gun to fire.
I did that too when I hunted with nipple hugers. The leather well drop when you cock.
When you cap a gun, or prime the pan think of it as cocked and having a hair trigger and no trigger guard to boot. Without a real safety ml are always ready to go off, and are just like Mark Twains unloaded gun that can always hit grand ma from 100 yards away.

:thumbsup:
BrownBear said:
When I'm alone I carry it half-cocked and capped. When anyone else is along, I cap it when we separate, uncap it when we're together.

Back