• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hang-fire question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmay

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a question I'm hoping someone can answer for me. I finally got out this past weekend to shoot my new .54 cal. Lyman Trade gun. This is the first time I have ever shot PBR. I was using a .530 ball with pre-lubed .015 & .018 patches. After about an hour, (without swabbing the barrel), I got a couple of hang-fires that lasted a couple of seconds, then fired. I didn't think I was having a fouling problem because I was still able to load the patched balls with no more effort than when I started, even though it was a little cold out (mid-20's) and the patches were getting a little stiff. I started out loading 70 gr. of Pyrodex FF and had just stared working my way up to 75 gr. when I started to get the hang-fires. Any ideas what might have happened or any suggestions as to what I might do to prevent this from happening again? By the way, I was hooked even before I went to the range. After shooting, even with some minor technical difficulties, there's no turning back now.

Did you thouroughly clean your barrel before you went shooting? The packing grease that Lyman uses is pretty heavy in a new gun and I think that may be what caused your problem.

This is the first time I have ever shot PBR.

We can't even find Pabst Blue Ribbon beer around here anymore. ::

Could be a couple of things. Crud accumulates around the base of the nipple, especially if there is oil in the breech before you begin shooting. A frw drips of alcohol, followed by an alcohol patch and then a lightly lubed patch before the first loading will help prevent that.

Straighten out a small paperclip and use it was a nipple pick between shots will also help. Clean the nipple with water/solvent & a pick (careful with toothpicks ~ they have a tendency to leave the tip in the flash hole) before replacing it in the gun after cleaning.

Unless you're using WAY too much lube it should make no fouling difference between conicals and PRB. Some guns work best with a spit patch wipe every second or third shot.

I've got no experience with Pyrodex.

I have had no experience with the Lyman, but I have had occasional hangfires (usually just a "kaboom" (as opposed to a "boom"). I switched from the stock nipple to a "hot shot" type with a larger hole and I never had the problem again. The standard nipple on my gun was verrrry small.

IM jaybe :thumbsup:

Stumpkiller is probably correct that the vent hole was fouled. I've experienced the nipple vent becoming narrowed and/or completely blocked in cold or damp weather when match shooting. If the nipple pick doesn't work it might even be necessary to remove the nipple and clean the scale off the bottom. A Uncle Mikes Hotshot nipple will help eliminate this problem.

If you want consistancy when shooting BP or substitutes whether working up loads or target shooting it pays to swab after at least every few shots. If your not using a hot shot nipple remember to clean the vent every few shots also.

:m2c:

Run a alcohol patch, dry patches and fire a couple of caps off before shooting. As for the patches getting stiff, try mink oil (won't freeze) for the cold days. Also I would clean after each shot if your serious about close groups. A hot shot nipple will only help. :m2c:

Gol Darn it!! Another thin ta hafta buy! :(
If you can find them, buy some Pipe Cleaners and toss one in with your shooting stuff.
Remove the nipple and find the hole that connects the nipple hole with the barrel. Run the pipe cleaner down into it as far as it will go a few times and it will remove the built up fouling which sometimes accumulates in there.
It will work dry, but if you wet it with some fast drying fluid like alcohol it works even better. Just don't leave the hole wet or it will dampen your next load and cause a misfire.

Also, don't forget to put the hammer on half cock before you pour your powder and ram the ball. :)

If you can't find pipe cleaners in your store, try a Hobbys Shop or one of the "Craft" shops. They usually have some in all kinds of colors for people to make......whatever they make out of Pipe Cleaners. ::

Oops, I missed the part about you shooting for an hour before encountering the problem. That kind of rules out my suggestion. :redface:

We can't even find Pabst Blue Ribbon beer around here anymore. ::
Like all good American beers they were bought out by the Bud,Miller,Coors,Strohs conglomerate. :cry:

Oops, that was supposed to be PRB. Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions. I do remember seeing a little oil seeping out of the bottom of the nipple after shooting for a while. I had put a drop of gun oil on the nipple threads after taking the gun apart and cleaning it when I first got it. Changing the nipple to a hot one sounds like it can't hurt. I'll give it a try. Thanks again for all the help.

While I've never had a hangfire with my Lyman Great Plains Hunter caplock, I've heard this complaint about Lyman nipples before. The vent is pretty small. Using a nipple pick between shots and cleaning the bore every few shots ought to do the trick.
:m2c:

I've read a lot of post from people that have Lyman sidelocks. They usually look for an aftermarket nipple such as one made by Rightmor to opt out for the factory standard. It opens the size of the vent hole and usually ends their hangfire/misfire problems. Of course there is still the need for picking the nipple, etc....

Back