• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Controversial question. Short rodding a patched ball.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While this example strengthens the warning to make sure the ball is not short started, there is more information that is lacking to tell the full story. It is stated that the barrel was a smoothbore. It appears from the set triggers that this firearm started out as a rifle and the barrel was later bored out to be smooth. I would be interested to know what the size of the barrel was across the flats, what was the barrel bored out to and was this a ball or a shot load that burst the barrel. Because of the perceived modification to the barrel, I don't think that identifying the maker of the rifle is as pertinent as the other information.
I’ve read, the sum total of my knowledge, that the problem can arise from the projectile not being firmly seated is due to the air being compressed by the explosive effect of the black powders detonation.
Question I have would that compression reach a greater PSI than the black powder its self reached.
The complete destruction of the firearm pictured would be from a very high pressure level it seems. Air or extreme powder charge. ??

So much depends on the bore diameter, the thickness of the barrel walls, the steel of the barrel and the powder charge. There have been barrels that have bulged when the ball is short started. There are a few that have catastrophically failed by splitting where the ball was short started. There are many barrels that have survived being shot when short started. A kind of cursory examination was done by two shooters (The Bevel Brothers) for a Muzzle Blasts) article for the NMLRA. Based on the rifles they tested and measured for bulging, their conclusion was that nothing bad happened to their rifles. I did have the experience of shooting a short started ball in my 1 1/8" across the flats 45 caliber rifle. There was no damage to my rifle.

This not a recommended practice. If it happens, the barrel must be inspected and not treated as if nothing bad occurred. The barrel needs to be checked for bulging. Destructive failure can occur.
Sam Falada noted similar results, iirc he had to use 2 600 grain minies with a third separated by a few inches in a 1 inch 58 caliber barrel before destruction occurred. Your experience may vary and I would be reluctant to fire with a known short ball, cause I value my fingers.

Latest posts

Back