• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hatfield 50 Caliber Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowhunter57

32 Cal.
Reaction score
After talking with the fine folks at The Log Cabin Shop, in Lodi, Ohio, I decided to leave the rifle building to someone else. 🙂 There's too much room for error with the wood and/or metal parts, starting from scratch. I could very easily end up with a $900 rifle looking like a $400 rifle. :rolleyes: I felt it best to be honest with myself and walk away from the rifle building idea....at least for now.

Their inventory of used, replica and original muzzleloaders was significant and from that inventory is where I made my selection. 👍 I purchased some shooting supplies to go with my Hatfield 50 Caliber Flintlock and was happy with my choice. By the time I got back home, I still had enough time to clean it (inspection), shoot it and clean it up to put it in the safe with its' brothers. 😎 I'll spend more time with this rifle at the range, to get it dialed in, before the hunting seasons.

Attachments

• Hatfield Flintlock 1.jpg
    Hatfield Flintlock 1.jpg
    444.6 KB · Views: 462
  • Hatfield Flintlock 2.jpg
    Hatfield Flintlock 2.jpg
    451.5 KB · Views: 370
I have found with the two that I have owned in the past, while not being "Hatfield" (so the wood was very plain..., nowhere near as pretty as yours ;)), that both rifles benefited from retro-fitting the front sight post with a thin, silver front sight post from Track of The Wolf. At 100 yards shooting at a round target, the stock steel front sight post seemed to me to be like trying to center a quarter on top of the end of a 2x4. When I went to the much thinner front sight post, it was easier for my eyes to line up the sight picture, and my grouping got better too.

LD

I had one from a man that was thinking of shooting b.p. but changed his mind and sold it to me pretty cheaply..i didnt really want it ..but the price was right on this being a caplock.I went to strip it down and the barrel was glass,ed to the stock. i resold it online..NEVER dreamed anyone would glass bed a barrel on a muzzleloader

[QUOTE="hunter thompson, post: 1715699, member: 48149.I went to strip it down and the barrel was glass,ed to the stock. i resold it online..NEVER dreamed anyone would glass bed a barrel on a muzzleloader
[/QUOTE]

Reminds me of when I bought a beautiful contemporary built flintlock long rifle.

Didn’t buy it from the original builder but online off an auction site.

Anyway, wanted remove the barrel to give it a good cleaning and wax the barrel channel of the stock and bottom of the barrel.

Guess what? At some point someone had glued the barrel pins to the stock !! Couldn’t punch them out without damaging the stock. Didn’t want to even chance it?

Still have that muzzleloader.

Respectfully, Cowboy

I have a Hatfield and while it is a great looking rifle the quality is very poor , just about everything on this rifle has broken at one time or another . I have replaced the mainspring 5 times in a short length of time , pretty but unreliable !

I can only vouch for my experience. Sorry to hear other poster’s had problems with theirs.

The Lock’s are L&R on the earlier Hatfield’s. The latter used Pedersoli. Couldn’t imagine breaking 5 mainsprings? Sounds like there’s something else going on with that lock. Also takes quite a few balls to shoot out a barrel my friends .

I have the earlier Hatfield. Never a problem with the lock. Showers sparks like crazy. Very reliable! My Pedersoli Frontier and Blue Ridge has the Pedersoli version lock. Never a problem with those either. Fast and reliable.

Barrel on mine has had a large number of balls shot threw it as well. Lands and grooves are all sharp and deep. Minimal wear.

Bottom line is, I’ve owned this rifle for quite a few years with nary a problem my friends. Very dependable and extremely accurate.

Again, sorry to hear of those who had negative experiences.

Congratulations on your new rifle. I’m sure it will serve you well!

Respectfully, Cowboy

Last edited:
After talking with the fine folks at The Log Cabin Shop, in Lodi, Ohio, I decided to leave the rifle building to someone else. 🙂 There's too much room for error with the wood and/or metal parts, starting from scratch. I could very easily end up with a $900 rifle looking like a $400 rifle. :rolleyes: I felt it best to be honest with myself and walk away from the rifle building idea....at least for now.

Their inventory of used, replica and original muzzleloaders was significant and from that inventory is where I made my selection. 👍 I purchased some shooting supplies to go with my Hatfield 50 Caliber Flintlock and was happy with my choice. By the time I got back home, I still had enough time to clean it (inspection), shoot it and clean it up to put it in the safe with its' brothers. 😎 I'll spend more time with this rifle at the range, to get it dialed in, before the hunting seasons.
I have an early Hatfield.50 flinter and love it. It’s a semi custom. The original owner contacted Ted Hatfield and chose wood, metal fittings etc, then it was shipped to him in England. I bought it from him in the mid 1980’s

I have two Hatfields, an early caplock by the Hatfield company and a flintlock "Hatfield" by Pedersoli. Both are excellent shooters. Lots of balls have gone through those barrels with never a problem. Fine rifles both.

Hmm! Did I see that rifle posted on the Fort McArthur page? If so hope to see it at a shoot.
denster,
Yes, you did and I hope to be there next week for the shoot. It's been several years since I've been to that club and the last time I had a T/C Pennsylvania Hunter. One other time I was there with Greg Gonder and Kim Best, shooting Greg's half-stock 32 caliber.

Bowhunter57

Latest posts

Back