• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hatfield Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ricky Nelson

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Just in the short time I have been a member I have read alot of post already that seem to come from very knowledgeable people. I just purchased a very nice Hatfield 50Cal percussion rifle that was built in 1994, I have heard good and bad about them. Mine seems to shoot really well and is a beautiful gun. Any thoughts out there on these rifles or someone who owns one that can share info about them.

I don't know much about them but wanted one for allot of years. Beautiful rifles. I did hear they were well made at first and eventually went down hill some as far as quality goes. I don't remember why.

I have had the hatfield in 36 cal flintlock. Thing thing to remember the hatfield, cabelas blue ridge/ and pedersoli frontier are all the same rifle. I loved the hatfield but sold it to make a TN MT rifle, I have a pedersoli frontier now in 45 caliber flintlock/percussion convertible gun. Thus I can change back and for from flint to percussion as I feel fit. I love the gun and its to easy to take the barrel out and stick in the sink for cleaning, which isn't an option for most longrifles. Keep in mind for a true production gun it doesn't get much better than the pedersoli's they are well made and very accurate. I love mine..

I have two Hatfield rifles, a 54 caliber plains percussion and a 45 caliber Kentucky flintlock. Both are early guns and are beauties.

When Ted Hatfield started producing them in the 70s they were top of the line for production guns. I have heard the barrels are Green Mountain. The quality began to slip with imported parts. One way to tell a later gun is to look for proof marks on the barrel. Here is an article on the Hatfield's.
http://www.handgunsandammunition.com/shotguns/3258-ted-hatfield-american-gunmaker.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Bought a used Hatfield from a guy who told me TC flints were best for that Rifle. Never shot it, so Ican't comment on his claim.

TC flints are to small the hatfield/blue ridge/ frontier takes a 7/8x1 in flint the TC take a 3/4x 7/8 inch. You could use them I suppose but your better off going with the correct one which is 7/8 x 1 in. You can get them at track of the wolf for 1.85 each for quality English flints.

2_Tall said:
I love the gun and its to easy to take the barrel out and stick in the sink for cleaning, which isn't an option for most longrifles.
Could you describe the process to remove the barrel? I understand they use screws to secure the barrel instead of pins. I admire the look of the longrifles, but really like the fact that barrel removal is so easy on my half stocks for cleaning. I have been considering the Cabela's Blue Ridge in .45.

Sure there 4 screw you need to remove. 2 hold the thimbles in place, simply take ramrod out and use a small screw driver stick it in the hole on thimbles and remove there real short and easy to remove. 1 is the tang screw. The last remaining one is the main lock bolt. The best part is all the screws thread into a metal liner and not wood so it will last for repeated removal and installation. Best of Luck. But bad luck for ya Cabelas quit carrying the blue ridge model and I even called the corporate direct trying to find a 45 with no luck. Looks like your going to have to buy the frontier but its the same rifle.

It's just preference. I have both a Hatfield and pinned barrel guns and much prefer removing pins than messing with the screws on the Hatfield.

I've never had a problem marring the stock or messing up the holes using a standard pin punch to remove the pins, but have had to deepen the shallow factory slots on those screw.

Plus, I find the clearence holes in the thimbles a detractor to the appearence on the Hatfield, though it did allow them to keep the web between the barrel and the ramrod mcuh thinner than other factory guns....and even some the home made ones that some guys turn out.

All that said, though not completely correct the Hatfield is still one of the nicest production guns out there. Enjoy, J.D.

jdkerstetter said:
...but have had to deepen the shallow factory slots on those screw.

You said a mouthful there. I am amazed how shallow the slots are. Okay with a well-fitting screw driver, but deeper is better. Not a hard fix.

2_Tall said:
But bad luck for ya Cabelas quit carrying the blue ridge model and I even called the corporate direct trying to find a 45 with no luck. Looks like your going to have to buy the frontier but its the same rifle.
Their website shows them as having been made available again, albeit with a blued barrel. Available in .45, too!

When the Hatfield company first started making rifles, they were producing a very fine rifle at a very competitive price. I had one of their early rifles and it was a real dandy. As time went on, they continued making very nice rifles. Then, they ran into financial problems and the quality really dropped. When the NRA annual meeting was held in Houston a few years back (Not the most current meeting but the previous one) Hatfield had a booth there. I happened to stop by to look at their rifles and they were really crappy looking. I was really surprised because everyone brings their best guns to show at the annual show. If the guns that I saw at that show were their best guns, I'd hate to see their standard quality guns. If you have a Hatfield with an early serial number, you should have a pretty nice gun but if you have a higher serial numbered gun, it may or may not be a decent gun.
That's just my opinion based on my own experience and some statements in some of the muzzleloading magazines.

Well dang nabit I just called 2 weeks ago and they said they were selling their stock out and won't be carrying anymore. I guess they were referring to the browned barrels who knows. That's a good price too 549 for percussion and 599 for a flinter. Still around 150 less than the frontier for the same rifle, just wondering if the frontier rifle is still a browned barrel now. :idunno:

Here's what a nice looking, but newer version of Hatfield Rifle looks like. 50 cal. I converted Her to flint with a browned L&R Hatfield #6 RPL lock, and just a tad bit of minor inletting, just a smidgen here and there. And then I let her go...

Had grade 4 maple (Hatfields were 1-4), and not a mark on her. Bought Her from a Gentleman in SC who's Father took it down off the mantle to show guests, wipe it down, and hang 'er back up! Never shot!

Oh well, Ya Live and Learn!

Hatty9_zpsb8df9a16.jpg

DSCF0909_zps18072faf.jpg

2_Tall said:
Still around 150 less than the frontier for the same rifle, just wondering if the frontier rifle is still a browned barrel now. :idunno:
According to the Pedersoli website the Frontier is still a browned barrel. Too bad, I would rather have the browned and the prices were really attractive when Cabela's closed out on the old ones. Didn't have the money at the time, though. In fact, I still don't have the money but I may get one anyway! LOL.

Mine was a nice looking low number .50 cal. caplock. It was a pretty rifle and a good shooter. I never owned one of the later rifles but what I saw at the NRA meeting was really poor quality work. I don't know anything about the quality of the parts but they were very poorly put together......and they were the rifles they chose to bring for the show.

Back