• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hatfield Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah Cabelas had the Blue Ridge Rifle in 45 caliber flinter on closeout for 499.00 I was deployed at the time and should have ordered it and had it sent to my dad's address. Ohh well I have a 45 frontier flinter for the same price like new condition it all works out in the end.

That's likely because its the same gun the hatfield/cabela's blue ridge/ and pedersoli frontier are all the same gun.

So what was their serialnumbering system? How does one determine if a number is early or late?

Really is a moot point. When Hatfield started importing Pedersolis it was based on Pedersoli's quality control, plus whatever Hatfield ordered on their rifles..., so you often find a nice piece of wood, and nicer polish on the barrel before browning, but also the polish was done by machines so the edges of the barrel flats are rounded, which is a cosmetic "no no".

The only problem the Hatfields or the Blue Ridge Hunters, or the current Pedersolis have is the patent breech system which has a smaller chamber than the bore in the actual breech plug. Some folks have reported ignition problems, from either a buildup of crud, or corrosion and crud, by not knowing about the little chamber. Many of the folks simply use a .22 or a .17 cleaning brush on the end of a rod, and are sure to clean out the patent breech in addition to the rest of the bore. In rare cases folks have had competent gunsmiths unbreech the rifle and open up the patent breech chamber by a few hundredths of an inch and the ignition problems are cured.

LD

No serial number apparent on my barrel. Warnings about black powder only and statement about it being .50 cal. I have not taken the barrel out of the stock to see if proof marks or a serial number are on the bottom flat.

I've heard that convention and some national laws require proof marks to be visible witout disassembly.

Anybody got a link to Hatfield's numbering system?

Thanks for all of the info concerning my Hatfield, my gun was purchased from an Estate sale by a local gun store who specializes in muzzle loaders and old military weapons. This particular Hatfield was custom built in 1994 for the original owner of the estate. It has a beautiful stock and browned barrel, the lock plate is an almost chrome looking finish with the gentlemens name it was built for engraved in it and the year 1994 underneath his name. Anyone ever heard of or seen one like that? if I can figure out how to get a picture on this site I will so you all can see it.

I have a .50 caliber early model Hatfield percussion rifle and I'm wondering what a fair price for one of these is?

The only thing that is causing me to delay posting it in the for sale forum, is I'm trying to figure out what it is worth.

I bought this rifle when a friend was going under to help him out. I prefer the Hawken style rifles instead of the eastern type of long rifles.

I like the rifle but I have never shot it due to doctors and a plethora of medical problems.

Bill

I think a fine used Hatfield, for those that like 'em, is worth the price of a new Cabela's Blue Ridge if not a new Pedersoli Frontier!

Hello

I have a Hatfield in .45 flint lock. I bought it 1987 in a shop called "The Frontloader" in Fontana, California. The barrel is brown, the lock is blued. Both lock and barrel are marked "Hatfield". The front sight is silver. The wood is maple with nice stipes in the front 2/3rd of the gun. I have no idea if it was still made in the US or already imported. I paid 475$ back in 87...

cheers
Uwe

Back