• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Have you bought?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most of mine are pretty PC, I did buy a junker Dixie Gun Works Tennessee Mountain Rifle last fall for a ridiculously low price and spent some time getting it back into shooting condition, more as just something to keep me busy. Now that I have it shootable I hope I do not let it just gather dust.

That is probably the most non-PC one I have.

Have you ever bought a traditional muzzleloader simply because you liked how it looked without regard to it’s historical correctness?
Yes, I have some that are probably not exactly historically correct, but remember they varied a lot back then too. They are still good rifles and I like them.

Have you ever bought a traditional muzzleloader simply because you liked how it looked without regard to it’s historical correctness?
Most if not all of my muzzleloaders have a historical connection to my ancestors.
Those that I had in the past which didn't have been traded or sold!

When I got into BP over 30 years ago we didn't have internet and I didn't really know anybody that had muzzleloaders. Well, except for a few guys at work that shot inlines. I knew I didn't want that, so I kept an eye out at the few local gun shops. So I wasn't worried (and truthfully never thought) about being HC. I just wanted to make smoke. Still don't worry at all about that, although I do appreciate all the beautiful HC rifles many folks have. The way I see it they are all, at least, at the basic level of HC. If your only gun is a CVA Bobcat you still pour a measure of powder down the barrel. Then you push a lubed and patched ball down. Then you either cap it or put powder in the pan. You're still getting the same experience those guys long ago did, as well as the guys shooting HC today. I have great respect for you guys that go all out for the sake of being HC, so my opinion there in no way is meant as an insult to you guys. When I was working for other folks I never had time to worry about being HC. I was just thankful to get the occasional day off to hunt or shoot. Now that I work for myself I'm getting a little more HC, but it still isn't a huge concern. So to answer the original question, although I now do have a couple of HC guns, yes, I've bought many a gun just because I liked the way they looked.

When I got into BP over 30 years ago we didn't have internet and I didn't really know anybody that had muzzleloaders. Well, except for a few guys at work that shot inlines. I knew I didn't want that, so I kept an eye out at the few local gun shops. So I wasn't worried (and truthfully never thought) about being HC. I just wanted to make smoke. Still don't worry at all about that, although I do appreciate all the beautiful HC rifles many folks have. The way I see it they are all, at least, at the basic level of HC. If your only gun is a CVA Bobcat you still pour a measure of powder down the barrel. Then you push a lubed and patched ball down. Then you either cap it or put powder in the pan. You're still getting the same experience those guys long ago did, as well as the guys shooting HC today. I have great respect for you guys that go all out for the sake of being HC, so my opinion there in no way is meant as an insult to you guys. When I was working for other folks I never had time to worry about being HC. I was just thankful to get the occasional day off to hunt or shoot. Now that I work for myself I'm getting a little more HC, but it still isn't a huge concern. So to answer the original question, although I now do have a couple of HC guns, yes, I've bought many a gun just because I liked the way they looked.
I just like playing with them a guy needs a hobby .😉

It seems a lot of us have very similar experiences. I got into this hobby before internet and nobody around here had, much less hunted with flintlocks. I only knew what I saw on television or found in a library. I bought several traditional muzzleloaders before I knew that ‘historically correct’ was a thing!😄

When it comes to being ‘historically correct’, I do enjoy studying 18th and 19th century muzzleloaders and accoutrements and trying to emulate what folks did back in the day. Usually, as long as my muzzleloaders and accoutrements don’t have any plastic or nylon, they’re purty much good to go.

Years ago on this site there was information and photos posted on an original flintlock rifle, perhaps of French origin if that third cup of coffee has kicked in, large bore but less than 3/4", long barrel. Of particular interest was that the holes in the peep were offset to account for lateral drift induced by the spinning of the ball. I'd love to have something like that and have long been threatening to commission another barrel for the Pedersoli 1816. Thursday is an appointment to inch me closer to lens replacement surgeries so yeah, maybe I could even hit with it. Then I could post pictures and have fun reading about how such things aren't historically correct.

Years ago on this site there was information and photos posted on an original flintlock rifle, perhaps of French origin if that third cup of coffee has kicked in, large bore but less than 3/4", long barrel. Of particular interest was that the holes in the peep were offset to account for lateral drift induced by the spinning of the ball. I'd love to have something like that and have long been threatening to commission another barrel for the Pedersoli 1816. Thursday is an appointment to inch me closer to lens replacement surgeries so yeah, maybe I could even hit with it. Then I could post pictures and have fun reading about how such things aren't historically correct.
Like a Buffington sight? I can't imagine it would be very beneficial on a round ball rifle.

Good for you on the eyes! I thought the whole process was fascinating. I had mine done a few years ago, and was amazed to discover my guns not only had sights on them, the targets weren't just fuzzy looking things hanging out in the distance.

Yep, historically correct isn’t a concern for me.
Although fortunate to own some "historically correct" muzzleloaders, I'm a fan of most T/C traditional models. I also have more than a passing affection for models some other manufacturers offer.

Historically correct function is important to me.

My rifle is not HC by any means. It is a pedersoly frontier flint rifle in .54 caliber. It weighs less than 7 pounds, it is light and easy to carry and I like the caliber as 54 is everything I need for deer. I will probably never buy another rifle as I can't afford the cost of a new gun. In reality, unless you are shooting an original rifle, there aren't any historically correct rifles except for outside looks.
Ohio Rusty ><>

Last edited:
IMG_E0546w.jpg

My slide hammer is a version of a Carleton design. kind of a rare one.

Bought the parts does that count?

Yes, my first was an investarms bridger hawken. I now know it’s nothing like the real bridger hawken but I still like it.
Love that gun! It always does its job. At our little club meets it generally outshines all those HC guns. The method of developing a proper load, loading, aiming and shooting is the same. Close enough for me. If it was supposed to be an original, then the small stuff would matter. But then I wouldn't be shooting it either.

Like a Buffington sight? I can't imagine it would be very beneficial on a round ball rifle.

Good for you on the eyes! I thought the whole process was fascinating. I had mine done a few years ago, and was amazed to discover my guns not only had sights on them, the targets weren't just fuzzy looking things hanging out in the distance.
If I'm recommebring correctly it was a vertical leaf with three or four holes in it.
Speculation at the time (thread comments) was that it may have been an early hunting rifle intended for open country, large animals so perhaps buffalo. The spacing on the holes was notable.

In the past I've searched for the thread again and not turned it up.

Back