• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hawken Kit is DONE!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kthompson204

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hawken.jpg
I'm now a proud owner of my first muzzleloader, and I built it from a kit. I want to thank all of you that helped me through the build by answering all my dumb questions. After a lot of sanding, fitting, staining and browning, I think it turned out pretty nice. Once I get the sights from TTW, I will be taking it to the range to see how it shoots.

You did a good job.
Looks really nice.
Wanna build me one? :thumbsup:

SgtSchutzen said:
What cal and kit brand?
It's a .50 cal. and it's made by Traditions. The kit was somewhat poor. I had to really work the stock to get all the parts to fit correctly. I guess you get what you pay for. Should be a good rifle for my introduction into muzzleloading, and if I don't like it, I'm not out a ton of money. If nothing else, it was a fun challenge to build.

Looks like you did a fine job there.

My first ML rifle was a CVA kit.. It was stolen back in the 80's.. I still miss that rifle and while the quality might not have been as good as my BILs TC I put it together and it shot every bit as good. (I thought it looked better too since it was browned and not blue)

She turned out well my friend! :thumbsup: You may be surprised how well she shoots right out of the box, and it gets better after 50 or so shots. I love shooting mine better than practically any thing I own.

I luckyly had a buddy that had several acres in the country, when I first started trying to dial mine in.
I sit up a small table at the tailgate of my truck and spent two or three weekends getting mine dialed in as far a load, powder grains, patch lube and wiping. I probably put 75 rounds or more thru the rifle during those weekends. I would check my shooting and find and check my patches, wipe and shoot some more!
I will tell you this when wiping you don't want to shove the rod all the way to the bottom the first time as all that does is push the fouling into the breech. And with the same breech as the CVA it won't take long to fill the drum and you will get misfires.
I have my rod marked and I know when she will bottom with no load. That doesn't mean I always catch it before I go too far. It may stick on the very bottom depending on the type of jag you are using and the lube. Mine will do it sometimes because the patch is too dry and I think it has to do with the jag also as it didn't do till I changed to the jag I am using. I have never lost a patch off of the jag I am using I have on the other hand had it stick. :redface: If it does don't panic a little water down the barrel will usually free it up. :wink:

ebiggs said:
What's not to like? Good first job and now onto number 2! :grin: 3, 4, 5, etc!
I know how that goes. I started out just wanting one WWII rifle...an M1 Garand. Now I have 23 WW battle proven rifles. If I enjoy shooting my newest addition to the collection I'm sure I'll start looking at civil war BP rifles...It never ends, and I love it!

Back