• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hawkeye's gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are talking about the recent movie, it was a fantasy piece dreamed up by hollywood.

If you mean the book, Cooper never states specifically what style it was, only that it was longer. It's in "The Deerslayer"

The rifle in the movie most strongly resembled a late 18th century Allentown style. This type, as far as anyone has made an educated guess to this point, wasn't in existence during the F&I War. The dating of the overall type aside, there were a few details about it that were pure Hollywood, but you have to look really close and know your rifle schools fairly well to catch them.

In spite of the inaccuracy of a number of points about the movie, I loved it. I was fascinated with the early American frontier as a kid, and "Last Of The Mohicans" took me back to that. I would venture a guess and say that this movie and "Jeremiah Johnson" have brought as many people into this sport as any other factor. The guns used by the primary characters in both films, though, are better looked at as starting points for research into what longhunters and mountain men actually used, though, than as the answer to what a modern-day reenactor (if he's even moderately serious about it) should carry.

mongrel said:
The rifle in the movie most strongly resembled a late 18th century Allentown style. This type, as far as anyone has made an educated guess to this point, wasn't in existence during the F&I War. The dating of the overall type aside, there were a few details about it that were pure Hollywood, but you have to look really close and know your rifle schools fairly well to catch them.

In spite of the inaccuracy of a number of points about the movie, I loved it. I was fascinated with the early American frontier as a kid, and "Last Of The Mohicans" took me back to that. I would venture a guess and say that this movie and "Jeremiah Johnson" have brought as many people into this sport as any other factor. The guns used by the primary characters in both films, though, are better looked at as starting points for research into what longhunters and mountain men actually used, though, than as the answer to what a modern-day reenactor (if he's even moderately serious about it) should carry.

:thumbsup: :hatsoff:

Well, it was better than the trapdoor Springfield "conversions" you see in the old B&W movies, but not by much. They certainly could have done a better job there. Of course, they could have read the book, as well, since the script was nearly as inaccurate. My son had to do a book report on it a couple of years ago and even he laughed at how they twisted the story line. As Chingachgook would say, "Ugh!" My favorite part was where one of the protagonists at the end shoots two of the bad guys at the same time on the fly. Kind of like the movies where they have some guy with two longswords criss-crossed over his back. Yeah, right. "Jerimiah Johnson" was a long time ago, but I think it had a tad more authenticity. LOTM's wouldn't have inspired me the way that flick did. :haha:

Sadly, authenticity doesnt sell movies.

I thought it was a good flick, alot better than most of the *%$@ out there today.

Boone

It was good enough. Given the atrocious anachronisms of some recent Hollywood historical efforts, it was pretty good in my books that they got the rifle as a) flintlock, b) 18th century in style (even if late), and c) with a wooden patchbox. Anyway, who knows, there probably were rifles around like that already in the 1750s - he probably didn't have to be carrying a 'jaeger' to be authentic, and it certainly wouldn't have looked as elegant on the tall Daniel Day-Lewis.

It might help if you understood that "property", including sets probably doesn't exceed 5 or 6% of a film's budget. :shake:

Latest posts

Back