• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hawkeyes rifle in film"LoM"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allan

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Sorry 'bout this, I'm sure this has been kicked around here before but I can't find it posted.
The look and shape of Leatherstockings rifle in Last of the Mohicans film is just right to my eye. Is this what he would have had or hollywoods idea of what he should have had?
Much of the reason I bought the Pedersoli Frontier flinter was because of it's looks. Just seems to have the right shape to me. Wish it was longer though, but I think thats another joke..
grin.gif

While Hawkeyes gun does have the wide butt plate often associated with colonial guns most students of gun history I have heard/seen express their thoughts on this gun place it much later in history, probably 1780 at the earliest(this is very generous I think) and more like 1790-1800, some thing along the lines of a Lehigh type, the same time frame would likely apply to the Cabelas/Pedorsoli offerings inspite of the advertising hype of spanning the time from the F&I to the Alamo

Thanks Musketman,
Wish I could find a picture of Danial Boones gun. I would have thought that such a famous rifle would have at least one pic on the internet somewhere.
If I had to pick a persona that I wanted to emulate it would be the eastern long hunter of about 1750-1775. Exploring the wildernwss like Boone, guiding and fighting for militia in terratory you know but the militia are unfamiliar with.
I need the right rifle and can't seem to put my finger on just the right one.

Thanks Musketman,
Wish I could find a picture of Danial Boones gun. I would have thought that such a famous rifle would have at least one pic on the internet somewhere.
If I had to pick a persona that I wanted to emulate it would be the eastern long hunter of about 1750-1775. Exploring the wildernwss like Boone, guiding and fighting for militia in terratory you know but the militia are unfamiliar with.
I need the right rifle and can't seem to put my finger on just the right one.

Hey Musket,
Thanks for the sites, gosh it's a shame Boones guns aren't around. Crockets sure got fancy!
Would an eastern long hunter have a rifle or musket?

Boone and many hunters of the 1750-1775 period would have use guns something like the Virginia ( or similar guns from the Carolinas)or early Lancaster guns shown on Chambers site (see below) rifled or smoothrifles would probably have been the norm rather than muskets for serious hunters, the early guns were generaly of wide straigth buttsock, with flat or slightly curved buttplate with wood patch box lids or simple brass ones swamped barrels and cals from .54-.60

http://www.flintlocks.com/

I contacted the Daniel Boone Homestead about his rifle. This is their reply:

"During his lifetime, Boone owned many rifles. The ones that are known to exist are owned by private collectors. There may also be one that is owned by the Filson Club. But whether or not any of these were truly his is only speculative."

Michael Harris
Daniel Boone Homestead

http://www.danielboonehomestead.org/friends.htm

Daniel Boone Homestead
400 Daniel Boone Road
Birdsboro, PA 19508-8735
610-582-4900
[email protected]

Thanks Tg and Musket,
You have both been big helps.
I found similar data on Boone's gun. Seems, what I call the "average truth" is there is only one gun that we are reasonably sure is Boones and last I knew it was in the library of the homestead. I remember as a kid looking for Boone's gun and that many people found old flinters in the attic and scratched D.B. on them. What people do for money, go figure...
Thanks for the point on what eastern long hunters, Boone, et.al. would have used. Just what I needed. I am looking for something that would be period correct but still have some of the asthetic seen on some of the later guns. Narrow and curved but stock, etc. Wood patchbox (if any) is a definet, wouldn't want any shiny brass to spook deer. Most likely a classic "poor boy" rifle is what I will wind up with but this almost excludes a nice curly maple stock but I have seen some beautiful walnut work done.
Wonder what Boones stock is (was).

". I am looking for something that would be period correct but still have some of the asthetic seen on some of the later guns. Narrow and curved but stock, " The secons half of this statement will cancel the PC part.....not casting stones but to be period correct one must stay within the period and not add features of later guns, a gun is either period correct or it is not. most gun students put the "poor boy" as a post 1800 type of gun. Your best bet is to study as many pics of originals of the early and later guns then decide which type you like then adjust your time frame to match the gun or if set on the time frame then adjust your choice in gun to match the time.It may not matter much depending on how much of an interest you have in the PC aspect of the sport, but if you really get into it and outfit yourself in clothing and gear of 1770 and carry a gun from 1800 in time the choice will haunt you.

quote:Originally posted by Allan:
Wonder what Boone's stock is (was). Wood.
rolleyes.gif
grin.gif

My guess would be walnut.

Back