• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Head or Heart?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read an auto biography of a frontiersman from texas (1830's), I beleive his name was Noah Smithwick, and I recall him commenting on shooting game so the ball could be recovered and used again, since lead was so valuable at the time. I think he also mentioned in the book that the indians did the same thing but they would chew on the spent ball until it fit back down the bore. I might have the wrong book in mind though, it's been many years since I read it.

I seem to recall reading that exact same thing, but dont remember whose book it was? Getting old is hard on yer mind.

I agree with Roundball. A heart and/or lung shot on a deer doesn't destroy much meat as there is little to destroy on the ribcage. A deer hit in this area will either collapse it's footie prints or make a mad dash and drop in a few yards. If the shot is a bit off it'll still strike the liver with the same results.

I've never taken head shots though I've taken a number of neck shots (due to the particular situation). Three were by accident as the deer were running or doing the head jerking as Roundball described. A deer's brain is a small and deceptive target that's difficult to discern in the dappled daylight of woodlands. How much meat is wasted if the deer gets away with a broken jaw? I personally think it is unconscionable to try and take a game animal with anything other than the most risk free, lethal shot available. Taking chances, experimenting or trying to "copy" some alleged 18th century method of shot placement is beyond the scope of our hobby as well as being unethical. :shake:

I think that it is wrong to call a particular shot unethical in general every shot no matter where it is put must be jugdged on its' being ethical on its own merit at the time, there was a time tha from a rest I could put shots into a playing card at 25yds all day long, the few head shots I took were no more questionable as to the outcome than a lung shot would have been as I was very close shooting a deer that had no idea I was there, unless something went tremendously wrong which can happen with any shot selection, had I been squirrel hunting I would have and did have about the same size target, as I said, I do not promote head shots but I will not flatly claim they are unethical as it is just not always the case.

I've made many neck shots with my .300 magnum, because it is so accurate and destructive, but I always use chest shots (on big game) with my front stuffers, the ball just wizzes on through and doesn't waste an ounce of meat and doesn't leave huge amounts of lead particals everywhere like many modern rifles do. I much prefer hunting with a round ball now a days because of the added sense of accomplishment and the added economy (run my own balls, free lead). I imagine shot placement in the day was all personal choice based on the skills and judgment of the shooter (or lack there of) just as it is today.

Very interesting discussion, guys. I have yet to take a deer (hopefully this year), so I can't attest to just how much meat etc. could be damaged and to what extent. I'm finding the further I progress with the blackpowder, and traditional shooting in general, the less acceptable modernism is to me.

I think I'm digging myself into a hole here!! :haha:

"I think I'm digging myself into a hole here!! "

no doubt,,,enjoy the journey and let your self drift into the world of yesterday.

bdhutier said:
"...I have yet to take a deer (hopefully this year)..."
And odds are after your first with a Flintlock you'll find it's the only type firearm you'll use from then on...then you'll branch out into smaller calibers for small game, then smoothbores for small game, turkeys, etc...all a very outstanding journey for sure!
:thumbsup:

I shoot .40 and .50 cal flintlocks, and consider myself a good shot..... at the range. Bright daylight, known range, bright orange dot to aim at. At dawn or dusk that sight picture is usually not the same. For me its hard enough to align the sights on a brown blur walking in the woods. I wouldn't try a head shot unless absolutely perfect conditions. I probably would have already shot him in the body before he got that close though. IMHO I wouldn't try a head shot on deer. On a squirrel, yes. If you miss the head you hit the body and kill it or miss completely and try again. Just my .02 worth.

Is everyone saying that it is not possible to take the nose off of a squirrel leaving it injured and likely unable to eat and to die a slow death? if not and this can happen, why is it ok on squirrels and not on deer? what animal is the breaking point where it is or isn't ok to take the chance of having an injured animal?

Actually, that's not a bad point TG...

the past two seasons I've come to like using a load of #5's out of a smoothbore...and as an aside that eliminates the head shot issues for sure

It was a serious question, I am not flaming anyone for their choice of shots at game just comparing some and seeing what appears to be an inconsistency in mindset, well I will flame one shot choice, the "Texas heart shot" straight thru the poop shute and out the other end I have heard some casually talk about it as it were one of their acceptable choices, I find it hard to think of a situation that it would be a choice I would take,it just seems like a lot could go wrong with that type of shot, even up close.

I agree with any wounding is terrible and unfortunately if you hunt, it will happen. But let's use the tree rat/deer differences. Sure you can injure either of these two animals the same way, but the margin of error is very different. If you are off 1 inch, to the front on the squirrel, it suffers. But the shot you probably took on that squirrel was probably inside of 30yds. and you were probably using a rest. On a deer, you maybe were shooting off hand, just because of the nature of the animal and probably shooting further. The nose is MUCH larger on a deer, there fore easier to hit...wrongly. I have lost wounded animals and if you are honest about it, you have too. But it is not something anyone tries to do, at least with the people I wish to associate with. I try to take the best shoots at the proper time and I feel that for my abilities, a head shot on a squirrel is my best shot. I have had gut shot squirrels make it to their dens also, because I had blown a boiler room shot. I hope all hunters consider their quarry and give all of their shots, their best shots.

Back