• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Heartbreaks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Few things are more heartbreaking when a new acquisition arrives than to find that beneath that gorgeous exterior lies a completely roached bore. I just don't understand this kind of neglect. Bought this LH flintlock Lyman Great Plains Rifle in .50 because it looked great and lefties always looking for good rifles. Auction said "very good bore," and just shining a light down muzzle shows bright, shiny and sharp. Dropped a bore light down and things got ugly fast. Tried scrubbing with Scotchbrite pad strips and polishing compound and not much change (see bore scope pics). I doubt that any amount of scrubbing or soaking will fix this. Sooooo, sending barrel to Bobby Hoyt. Can't decide on .58 or .60. Incidentally, he does rebore and chamber single shot cartridge guns, so sending him a couple of rolling block barreled actions, too.
20240618_083809.jpg
20240617_134453.jpg

Last edited:
Is Hoyt able to take it to 58? Will make it a lighter way more fun hammer if he can.
He said as long as barrel is 1", but this is 15/16". Also, put in wrong caliber. This one is .50. He could probablydo .54 with it. I have the option to send it back. Think I'll do that, unless someone wants to take it on.

Some folks don't seem to know what is a good bore . A couple of weeks ago I bought a CVA 12 gauge double that the seller stated had good bores which it does now after I cleaned and scrubbed with scotch Brite .I was lucky that it cleaned up nicely but the seller had not cleaned the bore and when it arrived it was dark and nasty ugly But now I am very happy with the gun Good luck with yours

Hi Big Sky

Sorry to hear this. DARN. It's good you have the option to return it. I would consider doing that. On the other hand, if you bought it at a good price, it might be worth keeping and have the Hoyt treatment done in a .54. That would make for a light weight gun.
I have a custom plains rifle done in the Hawken style. The barrel is a 1" X .58 But wish it were a 15/16" X .54. At my age, all these guns are starting to get heavy. LOL

Rick

Hi Big Sky

Sorry to hear this. DARN. It's good you have the option to return it. I would consider doing that. On the other hand, if you bought it at a good price, it might be worth keeping and have the Hoyt treatment done in a .54. That would make for a light weight gun.
I have a custom plains rifle done in the Hawken style. The barrel is a 1" X .58 But wish it were a 15/16" X .54. At my age, all these guns are starting to get heavy. LOL

Rick
The backside return isn't there.

Few things are more heartbreaking when a new acquisition arrives than to find that beneath that gorgeous exterior lies a completely roached bore. I just don't understand this kind of neglect. Bought this LH flintlock Lyman Great Plains Rifle in .50 because it looked great and lefties always looking for good rifles. Auction said "very good bore," and just shining a light down muzzle shows bright, shiny and sharp. Dropped a bore light down and things got ugly fast. Tried scrubbing with Scotchbrite pad strips and polishing compound and not much change (see bore scope pics). I doubt that any amount of scrubbing or soaking will fix this. Sooooo, sending barrel to Bobby Hoyt. Can't decide on .58 or .60. Incidentally, he does rebore and chamber single shot cartridge guns, so sending him a couple of rolling block barreled actions, too.
View attachment 328453View attachment 328454
No, I don't think that's going to scrub out. If it were me I'd get it bored out to .54 with appropriate twist rate. Just my 2 cents as I like the .54.

I agree on the reborn but OTOH if the cost of the reborn kicks the investment above market value then......... it best be something you would personally value higher.

I agree on the reborn but OTOH if the cost of the reborn kicks the investment above market value then......... it best be something you would personally value higher.
Hi Longcruise. Any idea on cost of the Hoyt treatment to .54 and then shipping both ways to our half of the country ? I waited too long on a brand new, blued kit barrel for $200 here on the forum. It was a match for my TC Hawken with a crappy bore. It seemed steep until I started thinking about shipping and shop work for a rebore.
Then she was gone.
SW

I did. Their position is that visual inspection showed good bore and the terms absolve them. Always a manure shoot.

What terms could possibly absolve the lies they offered over the state of the bore? Here in UK we'd counter them by stating that the rifle is 'not fit for purpose' and get a full refund.

Hi Longcruise. Any idea on cost of the Hoyt treatment to .54 and then shipping both ways to our half of the country ? I waited too long on a brand new, blued kit barrel for $200 here on the forum. It was a match for my TC Hawken with a crappy bore. It seemed steep until I started thinking about shipping and shop work for a rebore.
Then she was gone.
SW
It's been a few years but you pay shipping to hoyt and his cost includes return shipping. I sent three barrels at once. I think it ran about $135 per barrel. You should contact him for current information.

One thing to consider is that the barrel that comes back to you will have a greater value than a bought factory barrel replacement with a good bore. The barrel you get back will have a bore quality better than a new made investarms barrel.

Lots of my own opinions in the above so I suggest you look into it carefully.

Back