• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

HELLLLLLLP!!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dagnabit :curse: I can't find ANYONE that stocks the Green Mountain drop in 1" for the Renegade in .62 caliber and I want one!
Why?
'Cause it's BIG. ::

Track of the Wolf has a .62 smoothbore (20 ga) listed on there web site. $169.00 . Drop-in for T/C 1".

I want a rifled roundball shooter and I did e-mail Green Mountain, and (sniff, boo-hoo) no results. :boohoo:
What's a fella ta do? ::

well maxi, yer gonna hafta re-do yer re-search. cause gm don't make a "rifled" .62 ibs,,it say's "smoothy" just past the .45 part...read carefull,,,,
Anyways there ain't no dealer out there that can "stock" I.B.S GM barrels cause we buy'm faster than they can make'm! Most dealers back order!
Best bet is put yer money down and wait,,or,,,,buy a blank,breechplug,underlug,thimbles,hacksaw,sand paper and brownin. And maybe (in your case) some duct tape.(oops!)(just teasing)

your lovin pal tacks,
best wishes,,,,,,

Aw man, manure! No wonder I can't locate one! :curse:
What's wrong with duct tape? ::

What's wrong with duct tape? ::
Did someone say DUCT TAPE? :winking:

bw_duct_tape.jpg

Did you call Green Mountain Barrel Co. about a .62 caliber with rifling? The reason I ask is when I was talking to a fellow there about my .58 caliber and some other stuff, this is a responce to one of my questions when I ordered the three barrels from them;

The barrel internals are the same between the Knight .50 and the fast twist
LRH models of our barrels. The paper patched .58 sounds pretty neat too.
We've got our .62 smoothbore that throws a 20 gage charge or a .600 patched
ball. We intend to have a rifled .62 next year.

Good Shooting,

Rick

It was for that reason alone I thought about not getting the smoothie and waiting until they came out with a rifled .62 caliber but then figured the new .58 caliber would handle all the little stuff and I could play with the smoothbore a lot more..

Hope this helps... :)

Say- do you ahve the Lyman Black Powder handbook- lots of info there, as well as in the second BP handbook they brought out. tis ws back inthe 70's, so perhaps they'e out of print. In the .58, you have the option of paper ctgs. where the paper itself takes the place of the patch and obturation makes the ball fit. With the paper ctg. rammed down on top of the powder, you will have a load that shoots almost as well or as well as the patched ball. Becsuse of the low pressures with normal powder charges (80 to 150gr.- they went to 180gr. for somewhere around 8,000LUP)the paper acts as a gasget just the same as a 'proper' cloth patch. My .69 would allow up to 10 shots to be fired without lube, yet still allow a patched ball to be loaded and shot. This patched ball laod would effectively clean the barrel, allowing another 10 shts with paper ctgs. In that rifle, they had the same accuracy as aptched ball, which was 1 1/2" at 100yds, off the bench for 5 shots. They also hit the same point of impact - right on the 100yds. Point-blank sight. I usd 20gr. more powder inthe paper ctg., than with patched ball, normally. if the top end of the ctg. is dipped nmelted lube, this will help reduce fouling. BE sure to use a double boiler (one pot inside another- coffee can or soup can inside a cooking pot works well.) or you may have a fire on your hands. Open flame on the lube container will be dangerous and overheat the lube, which destroys someof it's cleaning properties as well.
: I've had two .58's over the years, a Zouave and a Hawken Gun. Both liked 140gr. GOEX 2F and .575 ball with .015" to .020" patch.
: Both also shot the #575611 heavy skirt Lyman Minnie well with up to 120gr.2F as well. it took about 30gr. more (in heavy charges) of C&H 2F to match GOEX 2F vel. C&H 3F will about equal GOEX2F in both pressure and vel., gr. to gr., but is dirtier burning.(for me)
: Hope this helps- .58 is a very good rifle cal. of course, so is anything larger. - HA! My moose huting buddy has sworn to use nothing but his ML rifle this next year for allof his hunting. It's a Purdy-copy, .75 cal, Getz bl. rifled deeply (unfortuneatly) CTG's will work, but lack the accuracy due to gas cutting due to the deep rifling. measured on the grouves, this rifle is a .79 cal. Unfortunatley the only mould he has is a .735. With that ball, it is still accurate, but a larger ball might be better for him.
: THAT rifles really does a job on big moose. It took him about 6 years of constant use on moose to finally recover a ball. he starated at 200gr. 2F and continued to drop his charge each hear until he got to 100gr. At that, on a broadside shot, the ball would be under the hide on the far side, whether it went through one of two shoulders as well. With over 100gr., they exited. The first moose he shot with 200gr., the ball hit the paunch in front of the left leg, and exited after smashing the right front shoulder. No bloody wonder the 10 and 8 Bores were favoured for most African game. My .69 wasn't that good, but did very well, and was the favoured bore size(14 guage) in India in the 1850's. "4 1/2 drackms [sic](he meant drams) will drive a hardened ball of that size through and through an elephants head"- these are Samual Baker's very words. A WW ball in 165gr. ctg. was what I used mostly for moose. That worked too, however,it was needlessly powerful, but greatly appreciated.
Daryl

Back