• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hello everyone from Northern Minnesota!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John W Hughes

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have been reading the forum for the last few years. My first rifle 16 years ago was a T/C .50 cal Scout and I now own both a .54 caliber T/C Hawken and a Renegade which I use for deer hunting.

I live in Northern Minnesota on the Gunflint Trail not far from Gunflint Lake which is a Canadian border lake and used extensively during the French and American Fur Trade era.

I have learned a lot already and plan on posting some questions in the future.I am interested in building a smooth bore trade gun either a Northwest or French. So far I haven't decided on which.

Welcome GFG, I made a trip into the great white north several years ago. A little town called Ely, MN. Beautiful country up in that neck of the woods. :thumbsup:

Welcome to the forum from one Minnesotan to another. A number of us frequent the forum...more that are closer to you, I think, than my end of the state. Have been to Ely and up and down the North Shore many times. Fantastic country! Some true wilderness areas.

Never forget a morning long ago when a friend and I launched a canoe just at daybreak in a lake in the Boundary waters and not far from Canada to scout and set bear baits since he had drawn a permit. We camped for three days (didn't sleep much with a canoe of meat scraps nearby and big bear tracks in our campsite when we arrived)!
Anyway...the morning was perfectly still as we glided through pristine waters that looked like glass. A light foggy mist was hanging over the water, loons were calling....it just does not get any better than that!

You live in a beautiful part of the state. I have been on the lakes & portages up there a number of times. The most memorable was with La Compagnie in a 20 ft. birchbark & a wooden bateau on a reenactment trip for 2 weeks back in the '80s. I built a NW trade gun about 30 years ago with parts from TOTW but I put the wrong lock on it (a Siler). I still use it for grouse hunting. Enjoy the Forum as much as I do.

Thanks for everyone's reply!

Grand Portage is about 80 miles away and I have been there quite a few times. Lake Superior is at it grandest in that area. Have been both to the monument and the rendezvous (never participated) a few times and historic Fort William in Thunder bay.

Latest posts

Back