• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hello Holy Black Shooters

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodinal220

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Hello. While I have always shot black powder firearms. Due to the ammo/reloading crunch, I find myself shooting more BP guns nowadays. Luckily I stored a good amount lead away, I'm a bullet caster too so making projos isn't an issue. The rock-locks have a major advantage as you do not need percussion caps, those will have to be rationed, plenty of flint on the ground.

BP still seems to be available, although it sells out temporarily but gets restocked at places like Graf&Sons.......so far.

Theres a Quarry up in Vernon Nj not too far where I live. A Place where A.I,s used to get their chert for tools and Arrowheads. Its on The National Register for Historic Places so pick axes and hammers are not welcome. Gigantic cliffs of black chert! Enough for generations!

I wish there were a similar source near me. There is supposed to be chert in the state, but it is extremely rare, and I have never found any. I think the closest flint is Texas.

Hello. While I have always shot black powder firearms. Due to the ammo/reloading crunch, I find myself shooting more BP guns nowadays. Luckily I stored a good amount lead away, I'm a bullet caster too so making projos isn't an issue. The rock-locks have a major advantage as you do not need percussion caps, those will have to be rationed, plenty of flint on the ground.

BP still seems to be available, although it sells out temporarily but gets restocked at places like Graf&Sons.......so far.
"Plenty of flint on the ground" ???? Flint & chert are not found "everywhere". In fact, they are found only in specific areas where the local geology allows it. You are fortunate to live where there is "plenty" on the ground. To think it is plentiful everywhere is extremely naive! To think that all flint found on the ground is suitable for reliable use in a flintlock is even more naive. Ask a guy that lives where flint is non-existent if his flintlock offers a "major advantage" when flints aren't on the store shelf either.

"Plenty of flint on the ground" ???? Flint & chert are not found "everywhere". In fact, they are found only in specific areas where the local geology allows it. You are fortunate to live where there is "plenty" on the ground. To think it is plentiful everywhere is extremely naive! To think that all flint found on the ground is suitable for reliable use in a flintlock is even more naive. Ask a guy that lives where flint is non-existent if his flintlock offers a "major advantage" when flints aren't on the store shelf either.
Exactly. There is Chert visible above the ground on rocks but it is too soft or brittle to depend on it for lock flints. I suspect based on the geology the better flint is deeper under the ground where the silicons were allowed to solidify much better. I believe there was a discussion on such here in the past. Photo courtesy of Vernon Historical Society

Attachments

• shapeimage_1-2.png
    shapeimage_1-2.png
    324.8 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
The flintlock is superior to the cap in every way. Caps were made to load faster, thats it.
The air pocket quagmire is what I stayed away from.

Latest posts

Back