• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help choosing my first flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stay away from anything "late" if you're planning on Rev. War. If you're set on being a rifleman, do your research first, or you'll need to respend your money later. Look at Rifles of Colonial America and Thoughts on the Kentucky Rifle in its Golden Age. Study the KRA and CLA websites and books. Then recheck dates. Many older sources list dates that may be a trifle, shall we say, optimistic.

A Late Lancaster may be a great gun, and it's hardly a waste of money if it's a nice piece, but you may lock yourself into doing War of 1812 rather than Rev. War.

Coulmoultrie is right on, you have allready been advised to pick guns with straight barrels and other traits that do not fit the period, give some time to study and choose your sources well, particularly the verbal ones quite often missinformation is passed along with no malice of wrongfull intent just a lack of knowledge being continued, many common myths and errors are slowly being cut off at the neck due to the electronic information highway which is now available,and always remember that when dealing with builders/suppliers that there are gun historians and gun builders and not all who build and sell guns or parts are both. I wish I still had something that would work, as I have taken payments in the past to get folks going but I am down to my "one and only does it all French fusil" now, good luck and have fun.

Assuming you can't fine one used that will do, A TVM EL or EV is worth saving for. You absolutely will be satisfied with a TVM rifle, they will make sure you are. Their guns work the first time, every time with no "tuning" or "fixing" needed. Just get a swamped barrel, the proper lock and brass furniture and you will be fine. I have a few of their rifles and know quality when I see and use it. Other than flints you really don't need anything you don't already have for the caplocks.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have a TVM but I have to justify spending $1000 on a gun to my wife and thats not going to happen. I had a hard enough time explaining why I "needed" my Hawken and my Kentucky cap locks. She doesn't get it. Also on my income I have a hard time justifying it to myself. A TVM would cost me 2 1|2 weeks pay. Just not practical.Thats why I choose the production guns. Their affordable to me within reason and meet my basic needs. Rev. war reenacting is an interest but not a deffinet. I don't want to purchase a gun based on PC\HC. I just want something that LOOKS nice and shoots GOOD.

Sell one or both of your caplocks. You won't be using them after you get a TVM flintlock- new or used. Wives are much more understanding if they find your Collection " of things they don't like" growing smaller, rather than larger. :hmm: :thumbsup:

I can't get rid of my cap locks..I love them. If you had 2 daughters and wanted a boy would you trade your girls for a boy?...I say no. I want to expand my collection not minimize it. I WILL have my flinter, probably not a TVM or anything of that HIGH quality but I will find something that will work for me,my budget, and minimal days of the silent treatment lol.

Had the "I need a flintlock" discussion with the wife. She said I don't need I want a flintlock. I said ok I want a flintlock. She asked if I was crazy. They are ugly she said. :youcrazy: Also said they are not real guns because they take forever to load and shoot :shocked2: :youcrazy: . Just means more days of the silent treatment when it happens.

You could agree with her. :grin:

Just say, "Your right! Flintlocks aren't real guns so my buying one won't add a thing to my gun collection. It will just be another of "my things". :grin:

Women hate it when you use their comments against them. :rotf:

Here's an idea...

Let the wife "catch" you shopping for a new Weatherby Mark V in .416 Wby. Mag. with a Swarovski scope. If the $4k+ doesn't get her attention, the nine dollars a pop will! That TVM flinter shootin' old wheel weights will look down right cheap!

I understand your situation we are all there at times, i just like to know someone has the info to make an informed choice,and not find out later that something he was told IS ...ISN'T, have fun and good luck on your search for the gun that works for you

Hi
Warners's Regiment is an extra continental light infantry unit. There are no rifleman in the unit nor were there. I am the webmaster for Warner's. We are usually pretty responsive. You should contact the first sgt. Todd Kuntz.
[email protected]

You can also ask me any questions you wish.
Dave Oliver

VT smoker, did you ever contact the group you were looking for. If it's Capt. John Warner's Company of Herrick's Green Mt. Rangers, go to our web site at www.greenmountainrangers.com and click on the [email protected] link. Send us your phone number and I'll have Dave or Ed (ET) give you a call. They are a very active group as you can see by visiting their "events" section.

They are a great group of folks and are primarily based around central and southern VT. I'm in VA now and not really active with the group, though still a member. If you click on that e-mail link, it will come to me and I'll forward it to them.

Sorry I didn't see this MUCH sooner,

Twisted_1in66 :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
EdB said:
Here's an idea...

Let the wife "catch" you shopping for a new Weatherby Mark V in .416 Wby. Mag. with a Swarovski scope. If the $4k+ doesn't get her attention, the nine dollars a pop will! That TVM flinter shootin' old wheel weights will look down right cheap!

Esd, you are truly a sinster and sneaky fellow!

(I really like that in a guy!)

gotta remember that trick.

I have to be careful. She likes cartridge guns. :youcrazy: I could end up spending money for a cartridge gun and never get my flinter. :rotf:

Well, I guess nothing is without risk. I just remember my wife encouraging me to buy a boat shortly after I subscribed to "Flying" and "Trade-A-Plane"!

aaaaah the silent treatment.... i act an ass at least once a month to get a few days peace. catch up on some reading, maybe detail a project or two. Best punishment out there if you ask me.

Never thought of it that way. Your a very wise and verrry brave man. :shocked2: :stir: You must have a very comfortable couch! :rotf: So, I've decided against the Traditions Penn. rifle based on all the input i've received here..but I still think the rifle LOOKS nice. Decided i'm going to find a cheap used flinter to see if I like it. Also thought about converting one of my cap locks to flint. May be an alternative to buying a whole new gun. I think my Cabellas Hawkin would be easy to get the parts for. If flintlock does'nt do it for me i won't be out a lot of money(not that I have alot anyway). Thoughts? opinions?

Vtsmoker said:
Never thought of it that way. Your a very wise and verrry brave man. :shocked2: :stir: You must have a very comfortable couch! :rotf: So, I've decided against the Traditions Penn. rifle based on all the input i've received here..but I still think the rifle LOOKS nice. Decided i'm going to find a cheap used flinter to see if I like it. Also thought about converting one of my cap locks to flint. May be an alternative to buying a whole new gun. I think my Cabellas Hawkin would be easy to get the parts for. If flintlock does'nt do it for me i won't be out a lot of money(not that I have alot anyway). Thoughts? opinions?

Traditions is a manure shoot. I bought a traditions .50 cal Hawken that was a poorly put together kit at a yard sale for 30 bucks. After tearing it down and reworking the stock and furniture it looks a lot better. That goofy adjustable rear sight was replaced along with the synthetic ramrod. It shoots just fine. However a friend boutght one new in .54 cal. It didnt look much better than the kit when I got it. To tell you the truth I would wait for the right gun to surface. I find Smoke poles in pawn shops for next to nothing. If you just have to have a flintlock save the cash in the tackle box and do your reseach and buy the gun you want. TVM Tenessee "poor boy" is 850 $ and is a rifle that anyone would be proud to own and not be a conversion thats"eeeh Good enough" Just my two cents.
P.S. As far as my couch goes. I have yet to sleep on it. Once yer woman discovers that you are enjoying your silent treatment. things will improve. Oh sure she may be quite for a bit but they just cant stand to see us happier than they are. I tricked my wife into buck skinning by getting her a beaded tote bag. Bless her heart. She woke up one fine day . Looked around and went "what the hell happened?" I used to hate this mess." The look on her face was precious. Remember , Be a hunter and know your prey. women leave emotional tracks all over the Place. LOL :grin:

Back