• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

HELP!!! Floppy Trigger

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OMG - the price of Stay-Brite sure has gone up --- I purchased 2 - one pound rolls back in the 1980's for about 1/4 of that price for one 1- pound roll.

Thanks, guys! I disassembled the trigger group and gently bent the trigger bridle to snug it up against the sides of the trigger. I also polished the trigger where it interfaces with the bridle.

It made a HUGE difference in the lateral play. That was by far the biggest issue. The trigger was wobbling around side to side and was distracting when shooting. The front to back movement before it hits the sear is really pretty minimal and not an issue.

Together with adjusting the sear/tumbler set screw the trigger is now excellent. I’ve got more .310” balls coming in the post and can’t wait to get this gun back out for more load development.

The squirrels are watching from the trees. Out of season, they’re safe... for now. :thumb:

View attachment 236517
Glad you got it figured out, Smoke.

In the photo is the trigger I received from the gun works. It was $15. I sold the kit but recall the trigger seemed solidly made. You can see the spring, which would hold the trigger up and reduce play between trigger and sear.
To greatly improve that, drive out the pin holding the trigger. Remove trigger, and throw it away. Get a trigger blank, and drill to put the pivot at the uppermost forward corner of the trigger. Forget hanging it from the trigger plate. Doing this will improve ANY trigger that is pinned through the trigger plate.

You can peen around the pivot hole in the trigger to tighten the hole to pin fit, use care and work from both sides slowly. I've done this on unmentionables to improve trigger pull.

Garage sales are your friend.
Garage sales are good for many things but I NEVER seen Stay-Brite at any of them maybe I just don't go to the right ones:dunno:. Thanks for letting me know - I will keep my eyes open at the next one I go to;).

When they ask you if you are looking for anything in particular, ask them. I got into a treasure trove of powder, primers, bullets, gun parts a few years ago by asking. The guy hadn't even thought about putting the stuff out to sell.
Garage sales are good for many things but I NEVER seen Stay-Brite at any of them maybe I just don't go to the right ones:dunno:. Thanks for letting me know - I will keep my eyes open at the next one I go to;).

Pull your lock out and put inlet black on sear arm , lock back in .....work lock and trigger many times ....Take trigger out ....with marker or something that ain't gonna come off easily mark both sides where black is ...., with ball peen hammer work the top edge where marked , both sides evenly , it'll make it taller at that point . Now ....start fitting to tour lock . Put lock at half cock.position . Start putting g trigger and lock all back together and working them .If still too much slop , trigger back out and work trigger at top more to make taller , if too tall , file down slightly ....go slow wither way . Not when it finally gets to where the trigger has no slop ( having a VERY tiny amount of slop is good too , sometimes better ) then ....make sure it works in all three hammer positions ....

Somebody needs to keep us lined out. Hey, just bought my third Mike Brooks, number 101, a 20 smooth rifle from Clay Smith.
Keep the faith brother.
That's an early one, probably before 2000. Who had it? So many people of that era are getting old and liquidating thier collections.

Back