• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help identify Pennsylvania "pea" rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wboas

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Folks,

I recently acquired what I'm sure is a "modern" 32 cal. long rifle with absolutely no visible marking anywhere. I have not yet disassembled it to search further. When I say "modern" I mean post 1900, of course. ;-)

I posted a webpage with photos at: www.nyx.net/~wboas/pearifle.html for your seasoned opinion.

I'm new to black powder, and looking forward to shooting it.

Thanks,
Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks nice. I like the ramrod tip. Oh, and I thought I'd mention that the front sight is on backwards.

My best guestimate is a 1950's to 1960's modern build from the early days of the muzzleloading rennaisance that peaked in the early 1980's. I believe a seasoned old timer could id the lock and barrel and approximate the vintage by the make of the parts.

Have you looked on the inside of the lock plate for markings?

Removal of the lock revealed the name "Roy Keeler" and presumably this is Roy Keeler of Michigan blackpowder fame.

The rifle dates probably dates from 1950-1960s
period.

Thanks for all who looked and replied.

Very nice !
A real treasure no matter when it was made
I wish it was mine ,Tree Rats Beware!
Deutsch

Thats great info there !!!
Its nice to see that everyone helps with information like this when people are looking.
Once I asked for a makers ID and info on a Hawken rifle that I now own and I was forwarded some info of the maker which was nice to see who made it.

No, I have not fired it yet.
I need to "dress" the flint a bit, I think.
I have never fired a flintlock . . .

Thanks to the other poster who provided the
link to "Pa Keeler" I had seen the article by
Dennis Nealy and have also been in touch with
him via e-mail about Keeler.

I would have liked to have known Keeler.

I tried to see the pictures at your link but found it to be disabled. I just thought I would add that most likely you have a lock that was sold as a kit by Roy Keeler. Pa sold a lot of these kits to many builders during the early years of the longrifle revival period which goes back to the late 40's. I have a Tennessee mountain squirrel rifle that was made by Michigan's Art Holly. It sports a flintlock that is stamped Roy Keeler on the inside lock plate. My rifle was made for a former member of my shooting club back in 1949. If the barrel on your rifle is unsigned it may be next to impossible to ever know who the builder was.

Thanks for your post.

I will repost the page with the photos. I took it down thinking the issue was settled, but you have
opened the matter up again.

I appreciate that, and suspect therefore that you are right. Perhaps there's markings on the underneath of the barrel, but frankly I'm happy to know it's made here in the USA by an individual and about 60-70 years ago. I'll let you know when the page is back.

Bill

Back