• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help Identifying a Pair of Mid 1700s Flintlock Pistols

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfordjp88

32 Cal
Reaction score
I just acquired a pair of flintlock pistols from an antique gun show in NC and I'm hoping the experts here can help identify them or at least shed some light.
The only information I have is from the seller who said they were American or French and dated them somewhere around 1740-1760.
67 Caliber, 9-3/8" Iron Barrel, 16" overall length, possibly French maple stock.
He also referenced "Weapons of the American Revolution" by Warren Moore pg43 fig: P-61 and pg45 fig: P-66, I have ordered the book but have not received it yet.

There is definitely some wear and tear on them, a few cracks/repairs in the stocks, a crack in the brass on the front of one of the grips, and the barrel pin holes are well-worn, but despite that, I'm thrilled even to have the opportunity to own a pistol from this era, especially a pair of them!

I did find another OLD thread here that shows identical brass fittings and side plate (https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/old-flintlock-pistol-mystery.153575/) I am not sure if @PathfinderNC ever learned more about his pistol but hoping to get in touch with him here to find out.

I appreciate any info yall can provide.
Thanks in advance

20240827_171038.jpg

Attachments

• 20240827_170626.jpg
    20240827_170626.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240827_170715.jpg
    20240827_170715.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240827_170702.jpg
    20240827_170702.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240827_170821.jpg
    20240827_170821.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
I will repeat this here.

Halbach & Sons used that same side plate and lock style. These styles are considered secondary martial types, and many were privately purchased. They are fairly common and show a great degree in variety of furnishings.

I will repeat this here.

Halbach & Sons used that same side plate and lock style. These styles are considered secondary martial types, and many were privately purchased. They are fairly common and show a great degree in variety of furnishings.
Thank you, that is helpful.
I wish there were some markings or engravings to confirm it. I have been reluctant to the remove the lock and side plate. Would it be likely to have any identifying marks there?

Assuming they are Halbach, what range would you guess for the manufacture date and possible value?

Thank you, that is helpful.
I wish there were some markings or engravings to confirm it. I have been reluctant to the remove the lock and side plate. Would it be likely to have any identifying marks there?

Assuming they are Halbach, what range would you guess for the manufacture date and possible value?
Probably 1780s-1800 +/-
I have no idea of the value.

Hi,
These could be made in America mostly copying English styling. The acorn trigger guard looks like a crude American product using an English motif from the 1770s or later. Your pistols likely are no earlier than the 1770s. After digging a bit, your pistols were probably made around Lancaster, PA or northern Maryland. They could be Rev War vintage but later in the war ca. 1779-1783. They could also be made well after the war. That side plate, trigger guard, and narrow pommel were common features of these guns. They were made for cavalry and dragoons. Halbach and Sons of Baltimore made similar pistols and could be the makers but that is not the only possibility.

dave

Last edited:
Hi,
These could be made in America mostly copying English styling. The acorn trigger guard looks like a crude American product using an English motif from the 1770s or later. Your pistols likely are no earlier than the 1770s. After digging a bit, your pistols were probably made around Lancaster, PA or northern Maryland. They could be Rev War vintage but later in the war ca. 1779-1783. They could also be made well after the war. That side plate, trigger guard, and narrow pommel were common features of these guns. They were made for cavalry and dragoons. Halbach and Sons of Baltimore made similar pistols and could be the makers but that is not the only possibility.

dave
Thanks Dave! I appreciate the insight!

Latest posts

Back