• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help ID'ing a knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You really have to look at and handle a lot of real stuff to get a good feel for it. Even then, fakes can fool you.

There was a thread on another forum a few months back about a knife that appeared on Antiques Roadshow. The expert pronounced it to be a Civil War era bowie and put a very high value on the knife. The response from the folks on the forum, including one fellow who's opinion is trusted by many folks, was a mixture of amusement, bewilderment and disgust as many were convinced that the knife was a fake primarily because the expert in question allegedly had been caught selling questionable pieces in the past, IIRC.

Well, expert is a two edged sword. I think I know a lot about fur trade knives, especially scalpers, but really, I don't know ^&*about later stuff, especially the hand dags, and could crash and burn if I passed judgement on a "antique" dag.

So there are 2 factors here... expert knowledge, and a general knowledge of what fakes look like, and what real ones look like.

The second will get you a long way though. :wink:

Pichou: of the original scalpers you have seen, how many would you say (or percentage) were sharpened on only one side?

crockett said:
Pichou: of the original scalpers you have seen, how many would you say (or percentage) were sharpened on only one side?

0%

These Brit blades are a V cross section, and pretty thin.

Has anyone seen a Brit scalper sharpened on one side only? Butcher?

I have heard stories about NA's (NDN's) sharpening one side only, but I wonder if that is a myth?

No myth. Actually I was under the impression most of the well used scalper blades were sharpened on one side but remember I'm mostly interested in the mountain men and the Rocky Mountain area- things could have been entirely different in the Great Lakes area. In any event, the scalper with the +F stamp at the Wisconsin HS is sharpened on one side.This is the one with the square handle. The buffalo horn-handled scalper (Crow) at Yellowstone NP that appeared the the Carl P. Russell book is sharpened on one side- no remaining stamp on that one. If I recall correctly the L+ stamped Crow scalper at the Smithsonian is sharpened on one side. The +F scalper that was in Muzzle Loader Magazine a few years back- owned by "JoeCanoe" in Portland Oregon is sharpened on one side.
If you are interested in these let me know as I have photos, etc.
In any event I was told (always dangerous) that the mountain men had no interest in tanning buffalo hides even if they did trade for them. The Indians ( I am told) sharpened on one side to prevent nicking the buffalo hides as they were skinning the animal.

Dave

Not to reply to my own post but.... so as to not be misunderstood, when I say sharpened on one side- the knife as it came from Sheffield was a normal V taper- or main bevels- but then someone using the knife kept sharpening on only one side and as the blade wore away it developed sort of a chisel type edge- right at the edge.

Well, OK I admit most of my experience is with dug blades, and I have not seen the chisel edge. Maybe not looking? :confused: The +F I know at the WHS has no handle. :hmm: It is also published in Brown, Charles E., 1918. "Indian Trade Implements and Ornaments," The Wisconsin Archeologist, v. 17, No. 3, Plate 1.

Pichou, who is Great Lakes-centric. :redface:

Giz,

I have it's brother upstairs. It is a butcher knife. Some one put a better handle and finger guard on yours....my Mom probably has more just like it....in fact I use one at her house to slice ham. I made a simple sheath and will use it to cut up boxes when my other old butcher knives fail. Good knives and take a great edge.
Easily 100 yrs old. Mine are.

liightfoot

Last edited by a moderator:
Liightfoot,

Was the butcher knife you have stamped or marked in any way by the maker? Is the blade length close to the one Giz posted the photos of?

thanks,
xtm

My knife, except for handle and finger guard are the same...no markings on the blade. Lots were made and still are. I like em. They are carbon steel and you can shave with em when sharpened. I may have to put a new handle and finger guard on mine. Am thinking stag. Have plenty of antler left from my hunts.

I have no idea if it's true, but I was always told they were sharpened on one side because unscrupulous makers often times made them out of wrought Iron and then casehardened them. Whew, what a sentence! That way the hard case was always at the edge. Ben

Latest posts

Back