• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help! Jag stuck in barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yellowsevenpot

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I was cleaning my kentucky rifle today. The vacuum of the water in the barrel pulled the jag off of the rod. I was trying to get it to reconnect and now it is pushed all the way down.

How do I get it out? How can I take off the barrel plug?

Dry out the barrel with some WD 40 to get the moisture out. put some powder in it and shoot the jag out. It looks like you pulled the drum. I'd put some powder in there and screw the drum back on and shoot it out.. Be sure to have it pointed in a safe direction because even 4 or 5 grains will drive it out with enough force to injure. That is what I did when I had a cheap plastic on break off in my 32.

The first try would be to shoot it out. Reinstall the drum and put a few grains of powder under the nipple. You might move the jag a little bit. Then put a little more powder under the nipple. Seat the jag on the powder and the second try will push the jag out.

Second. When you get your rifle cleared and you have a jag to install on the rod, be sure to use epoxy and a cross pin to hold the jag on the rod.

Grenadier1758 said:
Second. When you get your rifle cleared and you have a jag to install on the rod, be sure to use epoxy and a cross pin to hold the jag on the rod.

Good advice! If that's the original rod you might consider picking up a good hickory rod to use instead. At least check it for grain run out.

Use 3-4 gr of black powder, an air compressor or a grease zero and grease gun. After u get the jag out buy a SS range rod and a brass jag with steel threads.
TC

Use 3-4 gr of black powder, an air compressor or a grease zerk and grease gun. After u get the jag out buy a SS range rod and a brass jag with steel threads.
TC

I do not wish I did. Bought this gun for 200. First time I took it out was today. It shot great... fml. How hot do you think I would have to get the barrel before the patch would burn away in the barrel. Would that weeken the steel?

Am I correct in reading your post that the problem is the jag is pushed so far down that it is blocking the nipple/drum hole...and therefore, you can't get any powder in behind the jag?

That is correct. Jag is all the way to the base of the barrel. I am thinking pull the plug which I understsnd is a real bear. I am wondering if heating the barrel to were the patch carbonized and maybe will just fall out. I just dont want it to weaken the barrel causing a dangerous situation when I go to fire it again.

Well I heated it for five minutes over a propane burner. A few light raps with a rubber mallet to the cool part of the barrel and it came sliding right out.

yellowsevenpot said:
That is correct. Jag is all the way to the base of the barrel. I am thinking pull the plug which I understsnd is a real bear. I am wondering if heating the barrel to were the patch carbonized and maybe will just fall out. I just dont want it to weaken the barrel causing a dangerous situation when I go to fire it again.
DON'T HEAT THE BARREL!
If you shoot it out as suggested, make sure the jag is seated on whatever powder you get behind it.

It is a armi sport kentuckian made in the late 80's.

So a few folks on another site state heating the barrel would not cause problems as long as it didn't get red hot.

So I heated it, and it is now jag free.

Really hoping I didn't weaken the steel. Any insight?

I wondering about using something with treads (treaded rod) or something to screw in to the brass. Or turn counter-clockwise, to unscrew the brass ram rod thimble. If you can get it to unscrew, you could use a range rod to re-attach to the jag.

I use stainless steel rods and brass muzzle guides for this reason. Even wood rods should have the brass piece pinned on.

Just throwing out some ideas. My machining background at work.

You are OK -- a propane burner is not hot enough to harm the steel unless it was a propane forge burner run at max heat. Fix your ram rod with pinning & epoxy it to the wood and only use that ram rod for decoration. Get yourself a metal range rod for loading & cleaning - use your wood rod for hunting. A GOOD hickory rod is what I would use for hunting instead of your wood rod which does not look to be very strong & flexable to me :v .

Hey all, thanks for the advice. I used a propane camp stove with the heat on med low. Not much of the patch remained once coming out. I think stuffing a few grains black power in there trying g to shoot it out a few times burnt up most of the patch. What did come out was pretty intact, interestingly.moo I am thinking a slight expansion of the barrel and some vibration sent it lose. This ram rod is getting set aside and a new one will be purchased.

450 to burn or smoke? When doing this a small stream of smoke was coming out of the flash hole, that would ignite when rotated into the flame.

What temp would cause the steel to weaken?

Latest posts

Back