• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help! Jag stuck in barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could have tried to put a little glue on the ram rod, run it down and seat on the jag, then wait a day then try to pull it out.

I couldn't get the rod to re-seat in the jag. I certainly see the advantage having threaded connections rather than slip fit like this one. It felt like the very tip expanded or maybe it tilted when I was trying, but I couldn't get it to go.

I see, with those slip fit ones it is always best to use a small nail and pin the jag to the rod so it does not slip off.

To Rifleman 1776: When soft soldering steel underribs to barrels you need to use around 550 degrees or more to flow the solder - I use Stay-Brite which flows around 475 degrees - no harm to the barrel also when a barrel is charcoal blued it is subject to much higher temps than that.

To yellowsevenpot: When you make charcloth you place cotton cloth in a sealed can that has a hole punched in the top with a nail then place it in a fire until smoke comes out the hole and then stops - if you light the smoke it will burn with a flame just like you did with burning the patch in the barrel. AGAIN -- your barrel is OK - go on your "merry way" and stop fretting over nothing :v .

Thank you much for the insight. I went on my merry way and found I need to move my sights. Shot at 50 yards rested. If you notice right on the edge of the plate at 7 o'clock there are two hits. That's where 60 grains was putting shots when I was aiming dead center. When aiming where the right bolt connects to the plate with 60 grains put down the lower group. 50 grains did the top group from the same point of aim. After 20 shots everything on the guns looks good.

yellowsevenpot said:
This ram rod is getting set aside and a new one will be purchased.

I have aluminum rods from my Green Mountain barrels. I have a few replacements to make some if I have trouble. One thing I know for a fact is all of the rods I have are not pinned. That screwed me over once. My jag stuck in the bottom of my renegade in the middle of hunting season. I put a dab of epoxy on it and put it back. Then I twisted it off and ran a brass range rod back down. I then twisted it on and pulled it out.
If you get a new rod PIN IT!!!

I once had this problem. I sanded the rod tip down till it fit in jag, applied epoxy, set aside for 4 hours and removed. Then finished cleaning with a different rod and trashed the one that I sanded.

Glad yer back in business. For sighting in I recommend paper, get yer group then tap and file till yer zeroed. Course if gonging is all yer doing yer doing fine :idunno:

Latest posts

Back