• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help me. I'm moving to Florida. My poor barrels!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been in Florida, south and central since '57. I don't like A/C and very rarely use it. I keep all the pistols in oily rags and long guns in gun socks. I shoot and clean often and have not found anything that does not work for keeping rust at bay. Gun oils, ballistol, and barricade have all done fine for me on a wide variety of guns.

All good advice, right there.

Notchy Bob
Thanks Notchy. I guess with my limited BP experience, it's better to be lucky than good. But I did have to learn the hard way with unmentionables, and it did pay off. With smokeless firearms it seems like the rust shows up more on the outside than in the bore. With MLs, rust on the outside is just conversion to tradition, while rust in the bore is a real PIA that can be conversion to a smoothbore or worse. SW

I live near Mike in Florida east coast near daytona beach. We keep the house at average of 74.5 degrees and with air conditioning and good sealed windows, we've hovered around 50 percent humidity in all weather in all seasons. I check every 3 - 6 months and revolvers, long arms do very well with any of those items mentioned above.
You are in Ormond Beach Me too, Tymber Creek community. Last stop light going W. On Granada. You?

I ordered a can to try it. I don't have rust problems and have used a quite a few different anti rust concoctions. Humidity is low here and it's not a problem.

I lived in SW Florida for a year on a professional job. The muzzle loaders spent the entire year in the back corner of a closet. When I was ready to return to colorado they all had minor surface rust on the outside. I have a habit of over oiling bores and they were still pristine.

But, nothing protects from neglect!:oops:
Very true I use oil like 3in1 one on frequently used rifles and have good luck with Vaseline for the long term storage

I have lived in the Carolina’s for the past 30 plus years. Yep, we have heat and humidity. Relatively pleasant today. A little after midnight on May 8th, 74° with 82% humidity.

There are plenty of products that prevent rust. Cosmoline works very well, just not that friendly. Leaves a thick rust inhibiting coating that is a real PIA to remove, but it works. Most, if not all of the rust preventative oils mentioned in this thread also work. Most seem to leave an oily film that isn’t always that friendly to black powder in my experience. That is where products like Barricade and Eezox shine in my opinion. Won’t argue if they are the ‘best’ rust preventatives, but they dry to a thin protective non-oily film that holds off rust as well or better than many of the products. And I have found the dry film that they leave has no negative effects on blackpowder or blackpowder residue. No swabbing or clearing a powder channel required by popping a few caps necessary.
My two muzzloaders need your help! They tend to rust if I don't oil them regularly here in California, and I'm seriously afraid for them in the Florida humidity!
Don’t overthink things when you move to Florida. Keep an eye on your muzzleloaders and apply your choice of rust inhibitors as required. Your muzzleloaders will not rust away and disintegrate in front of you.

Break free clp.. I used to use..

Clean it out before use..

I don't know if it's true.. I used it for oil not cleaning. It's has both in it.

I would leave the cap off.. a while weeks. I heard that if you leave the cap off the cleaners evaporate and your left with just the oil...

Plastic revolver display stands: Hi Captain Vane. Where did you purchase those elegant revolver display stands for Civil War revolvers? Philo
Amazon. Order quantity 1. Thats 1 pack, 5 in a pack.

RUIXUAN 5PCS Clear Acrylic Gun Pistols Display Holder,Gun Rack for Display and Show​

IMG_2568.png

My mother and father live in Charlestown, MD right out side of North East off Rt.40 and when I would go down to do a little white tailing I would wipe the rifles down with a little REM Oil inside and out but it does get humid down by the Bay..
They are just a few miles down RT40 from my range at Elk Neck State Park on Irishtown Road.

They are just a few miles down RT40 from my range at Elk Neck State Park on Irishtown Road.
Wow, this is crazy Captain, I shot there from ‘98 to ‘02! There were nazis then about that range, don’t know about now! Will never forget the overhead baffles they had to stop bullets and the smell of the nearby landfill!! There was a small gun shop in North East ran by Gary, purchase my first TC Hawken there for $ 125?like brand new and a SW 686 stainless with adjustable front and rear sights for $225! Still have both! Also , bought a Golden Retriever pup in Rising Sun, Cecil Co. !! I am getting old!!

Still trying to figure out how my uncles and grandfathers in the Panhandle.managed to keep all our squirrel guns in good shape using bacon grease when I was growing up 60 years ago.
Unlikely that it was actually salted bacon grease. More likely they applied an automotive grease and just jokingly told you it was bacon grease.
You could always test modern salted bacon grease an a piece of cleaned steel like some big common nails in board, bacon grease them and set them aside for weekly observation.

Same for brake fluid oil, the type that warns not the label that this product can absorb water vapour from the air.
Wipe some of that oil on steel and see how long it takes to rust.

This thread report on a lot of different oils that have been uses for decades to rust protection.
Many of these have been shown to perform poorly in long term rust tests (seen on the Internet).
I suspect that even the worst performing products do perfectly well in short term rust protection, the key to these users success with these inferior products is in there frequent reapplication.

Wow, this is crazy Captain, I shot there from ‘98 to ‘02! There were nazis then about that range, don’t know about now! Will never forget the overhead baffles they had to stop bullets and the smell of the nearby landfill!! There was a small gun shop in North East ran by Gary, purchase my first TC Hawken there for $ 125?like brand new and a SW 686 stainless with adjustable front and rear sights for $225! Still have both! Also , bought a Golden Retriever pup in Rising Sun, Cecil Co. !! I am getting old!!
I go weekday mornings, its old retired guys, only seen DNR once all last year and this. I hear weekends are busy, i dont go. DNR lets us old guys police the range ourselves.
Rifle range is shutdown until end of next year. 2025. Rumor is they rebuilding the whole thing, extracting tons of lead out of the berms. I hope they dont do to pistol range. $25 a year over 65yo is hard to beat. Last week I was alone til I was leaving at 11am when another guy showed up.
I’m the only BP guy there. Mostly 9mm.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back