• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

help me with my nipples?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsuursoo

40 Cal.
Reaction score
i'm wondering about what size the nipples on my percussion pistol should be. 11, or 10.

what are the sizes of #10 and #11 nipples, at the point where the cap goes? i have access to calipers, so i can check that... i want to determine if i have matching nipples on all cylinders or not.

if i do, that saves me still more work and money.

I think most replica revolver nipples measure 0.160" in diameter at the tip. However, I have come across a few that measure 0.150", 0.155" and 0.165" as well.

However, knowing that is not particularly useful, as the same measurement on the caps is 1) very difficult to make and 2) a manure shoot. Caps cost about 4 cents apiece. You don't get 3 decimal place precision for 4 cents.

Here's the result of a little survey I did over a year ago on cap sizes:
CapSizes.jpg

Each case is the numerical average of 20 or more measurements. The first thing I need to mention is that the three digit precision of the size of the opening is false - that can't be made to that accuracy with a set of calipers; it's probably plus or minus 0.002" or 0.003". Second, I've seen numbers generated by other people that vary considerably from these for the same brands and sizes, which leads me to believe that different batches make a big difference as well. In other words, the number just isn't controlled very well.

After all, 4 cents doesn't buy as much as it used to.

mykeal said:
I think most replica revolver nipples measure 0.160" in diameter at the tip. However, I have come across a few that measure 0.150", 0.155" and 0.165" as well.

However, knowing that is not particularly useful, as the same measurement on the caps is 1) very difficult to make and 2) a manure shoot. Caps cost about 4 cents apiece. You don't get 3 decimal place precision for 4 cents.

Here's the result of a little survey I did over a year ago on cap sizes:
CapSizes.jpg

Each case is the numerical average of 20 or more measurements. The first thing I need to mention is that the three digit precision of the size of the opening is false - that can't be made to that accuracy with a set of calipers; it's probably plus or minus 0.002" or 0.003". Second, I've seen numbers generated by other people that vary considerably from these for the same brands and sizes, which leads me to believe that different batches make a big difference as well. In other words, the number just isn't controlled very well.

After all, 4 cents doesn't buy as much as it used to.

it's still way more than i had yesterday. if nothing else, it'll help me figure out if the nipples on my pistol are close to matching or not.

Back