• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help on choosing a rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Make

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I'm new here and beginner :redface:
Please help me choose a good target shooting rifle.

Pedersoli: Tryon Target DeLuxe Percussion model cal. .45 or
Pedersoli: Rocky Mountain Hawken Maple Standard Percussion model cal. .54

I'm finnish, sorry for my bad english :redface:

I find the .54 are easier to clean, and if you deside to hunt the .54 is the way to go. My 2 cents F.K. Oh and welcome to the forum.

If you are just going to be target shooting, go with the .45. The smaller calibers are great for target shooting. They are accurate and will not beat you to death shooting them all day.

If you plan on doing some hunting with it, I would second Fisher King's opinion.

Mike2005 said:
If you are just going to be target shooting, go with the .45. The smaller calibers are great for target shooting. They are accurate and will not beat you to death shooting them all day.

If you plan on doing some hunting with it, I would second Fisher King's opinion.

beat you to death shooting :haha:
I'm experienced rifleman.

Go with the .54! The holes are easier to see :winking: . Better accuracy in a windy condition too!

Welcome to the Forum!

Dave

Both are good choices.
I would caution on the sites for the Tryon. Some shoots/rondyvous/clubs only allow primitive sights and the tryon MAY have hooded, peed, arpeture sights that fall outside the rules.

not a scare, merely a caution.

Welcome to the best dang info source for this "hobby" of ours!

Make,
First off I would like to welcome you to the MLF,
and encourage you to introduce yourself on the
introduction forum.
To your question, the concensus, as I have read is
the .40cal is the definitive paper shoother.
Personally I prefer the .45cal for both deer
hunting and paper. That is what I prefer....
snake-eyes :hmm:

I have both the rifles you asked about except the Tryon is a 50 cal.

The Tryon stock fits me better than the Hawken. I have to crawl up the stock on the Hawken to see through the sights. I am going to replace the rear sight on the Hawken with a lower sight.

To me, the Tryon is better balanced for off hand shooting.

I would handle both rifles and see which one physically fits you the best.

Choosing between the 2 rifles, I would choose the Tryon in 45 cal. for target shooting.

RDE

I'd pick the .45 for target if that is the primary purpose, plus it'll work just fine for the occassional vension dinner if you decide you want to hunt deer.

Although for just plain old paper punching target fun it's hard to beat the really small calibers like the .36 :thumbsup: Shoot it all day for pennies and no recoil. Better than a .22 :winking:

i have a TC hawkins from 1972 in 45 cal. kicks like a mule even with light loads,,,,,is it just me????none of my other rifles in any caliber kick as bad,,,sorry round balls only,,, :surrender: :surrender: :surrender:

With the cost of production rifles going thru the roof look at TVM or one of the custom outfits. You will get good parts an barrels for about the same money.
As for an all round caliber the ole .50 Cal is hard to beat on paper or deer. :thumbsup:

rubincam said:
i have a TC hawkins from 1972 in 45 cal. kicks like a mule even with light loads,,,,,is it just me????none of my other rifles in any caliber kick as bad,,,sorry round balls only,,, :surrender: :surrender: :surrender:
Trade that killer in on a Renegade, or learn just where to put that curved buttplate, on your arm, not your shoulder. :v

I have some friends in Finland that do the buckskinning thing. They fly over for the Eastern Rendezvous and we provide tents food and guns. If you are interested I can give you their email addresses. They know a lot about shooting muzzleloaders.

Many Klatch

I have a .54 caliber Hawken that I shoot with full loads and never get a sore shoulder. I've fired 100 shots in a day without discomfort. If you are only going to have one rifle, my vote goes for the .54.

I personally would like a Tyron Creedmoor or Match for shooting conicals at longer ranges.

Target shooting or hunting... if you want to clean up the match, get a Whitworth - like a Gibbs.

Yes, you need to mess with casting the special bullets and paper patching but man oh man - they shoot like centerfire rifles.

Am I wrong guys?

First, welcome aboard. Glad to see a shooter from Finland join in. I would recommend a target type rifle if precision target shooting is all you intend to do with it. I have no idea about muzzleloading hunting or any sort of recreational shooting in Finland or any laws under which you have to shoot but think the choice should be the type rifle you'll use most. Good luck and, again, welcome!

welcome to the forum!

i would, if possible, try putting both rifles to your shoulder and seeing which fits you better. while lots of people get all worked up over caliber, i think that stock fit is more important. that's just one guy's opinion, and it maight be worth what you just paid for it, but there you go.

having said that, if both rifles fit you well, go with the larger caliber.

good luck

(by the way, don't worry about english when communicating with an American. most of us don't use the language well enough to get along with each other, much less a non- native speaker. English grammer is not taught on this side of the Atlantic- if you get any formal grammar, you pick it up when you start learing a foreign language, usually in high school. sorry about the nearly political tirade.)

Back