• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help with Identification

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Greeting Paulvallandigham,

You are completely correct in your historical review of the Kickapoo Indians. I do not know the history of how they came to be in Texas, but for whatever reason they have a large tract of reservation land 5-10 miles East of Eagle Pass, Texas bordering on or at least very close to the Rio Grande.

Signs at the entrance and on the fence perimeter idenify the enclosed land as "KICKAPOO TERRITORY"

Located on their territory is a very popular gambling casinio. Sharon likes to play the slots and wanted to go down there for Valentines Day, so we went. I read a good book while she managed not to sign over the title to the homestead.

While I do not know if the Seminoles and Kickapoos served jointly or as seperate units, Captain Bullis had great faith in them. Camp Bullis in San Antonio, Texas and Bullis Crossing on the Rio Grande is named for Captain Bullis.

Dating back to the 1880's many Seminoles settled in and around Santa Rosa, Mexico. Many of their descedents are still there.

And then surprise of surprises; either at the end of 2005 or in the early part of this year, I caught the tail end of a radio news cast that reported the Seminole Nation finally signed a peace treaty with the United States.

I have been meaning to look that up on the net, but keep putting it of in order to take care of other business.

If true, I guess some miracles still happen

Perhaps Rabbitt03 can shed some light on the Kickapoo Reservation, He works in areas along the Rio Grande.

Best regards and good shooting,

John L. Hinnant

If you are not an NRA Member, why not? I am carrying your load.

Good Morning Paulvallandigham,

Went on to the net this morning to look up Kickapoo Indians. The question kept nagging at me. Did a search under Kickapoo Indians in Texas.
Got some real good information.

The Kickapoo Territory in Texas is recognized by the USA goverment as the offical Kickapoo Nation Territory, but interesting enough, they were not offically recognized as U.S. Citizens until 1983, and only then were granted the land.

Also found out that as far back as 1775, the Spanish Monarchy gave the kickapoo's a land grant in Texas.

Also did some research on the Seminoles. They signed a number of treaties with the USA Goverment over the past 150 years.

Am now beginning to wonder if this never signing a treaty is one of those local legend myths.

Best regards and good shooting,

John L. Hinnant

If you are not an NRA Member, why not? I am carrying your load.

John: Don't confuse signing Peace Treaties, with accepting money from the Feds for the lands taken. The Peace treaties were signed. But, like every other peace treaty signed by our Government with any tribe, we have tended to break them more than honor their terms.

American Indians were recognized as Citizens in an Act passed in 1953, which also recognized all Native Born people, in cluding orientals( Chinese and Japanese) born here as American Citizens, and also permitted for the first time Asians who were not born here to become naturalized citizens. Up until 1953, Asians were prohibited from becoming naturalized, and from owning land in this country. All American Indians were extended citizenship, even if they live on reservations, and voting rights. 1983 would be the time when the Reagan Administration and Congress were trying to undo some of the injustices done by our government to Indians, and to Asians. Congress passed the law paying survivors of the WWII " Detention " camps for Japanese, $20,000, but only if they were still living to collect. In my first wife's family, only 3 children were surviving, and all 3 adults that were also detained had passed before the reparations bill was passed. I suspect that if the Government recognized a Tribal Area in Texas for the Kickapoo, it was because some of the surviving elders of that tribe elected to take that land as their separate reservtion, and leave Oklahoma, or Kansas, where they would have been in the decided minority among all the tribes living there.

Back