• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help With Musket info

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brown10

Pilgrim
Reaction score
This is my first post & I need help with an old musket I recently acquired. The lady I got it from claims that it was handed down through her family from Daniel Morgan, a relative of General John Morgan. I have no way of comfirming this with the exception of a copy of a hand written note that she received with the gun. Anything you folks can tell me would be a help. - Thanks
AC006.jpg
AC002.jpg
AC005.jpg
AC004.jpg
AC008.jpg
AC007.jpg

It's dutch ca, 1730 ish. An over all picture as well as a pic of the top of the buttplate would be interesting.
These were traded all along the east coast of the new england colonies.

Mike Brooks said:
It's dutch ca, 1730 ish. An over all picture as well as a pic of the top of the buttplate would be interesting.
These were traded all along the east coast of the new england colonies.

Agreed although that barrel which could be possibly Spanish {?}and the guard gently suggest Liege {close to Dutch or as Wallace likes to say-"Netherlandish}.Like Mike I would like to see those other photos BUT,REGARDLESS OF WHATEVER SOME SELF ANNOINTED EXPERT SUGGESTS-DO NOT TOUCH THIS GUN UNLESS YOU CAN FIND A REAL EXPERT IN RESTORATION/STABILIZATION WORK.I am looking at one now which came out of the woodwork in "barn loft/attic" condition and will DO NOTHING to it. The buyer will have to make that choice.I realize that I sound rather draconian here but I've seen far to many guns damaged by well meaning incompetents.You don't want to hear the horror stories!
There I've said it and I will come down off my pedestal and wish you good luck on what appears to be a really nice early gun in closet condition
As to the bore,rifled guns are relatively uncommon on Dutch {Netherlandish}or Liegeoise guns so better photos might help.
Tom Patton

The "76" on the stock certainly lends an air of Romantic Mystique to the piece...

Thanks for these pics,now a couple of full length ones would be very helpful.The side plate is an obvious later addition and I would like to know if the bottom of the butt behind the trigger guard is round or flat.I suspect that with the lower butt molding that it is flat.The general butt configuration along with the acanthus carving behind the barrel and the chiseled barrel decoration suggest to me that this gun may well be a liegeoise product from the first quarter of the 18th century or perhaps a little later.

I would welcome any comments on my thoughts as stated above.
Tom Patton

I have one of these too. The mounts on yours and mine are nearly identical. Although the look quite fancy they weren't overly expensive guns in their day. Very nice find. :thumbsup:

Back