• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help with rhymes on powder horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billk

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Can anyone suggest some rhymes for the powder horn that I am working on right now?
I did a Google search, but I found very few quotes.
Thank you in advance.
Bill K

I cant remember where I heard or seen this one but I liked it and put it on my horn.

"Take me not and bring you shame, for on me lies my owners name."

"Freedom"
"Bill K,
,His Horn"

"Moses suposses his toeses are roses,,
,,But nobodies toeses are poses of roses as moses supposses his toeses to be."

Here are a few I have seen:
Steal not this horn for fear of shame, for on it lies the owner's name

With musket true, savages I slew 1756

The horn is don (done)/ so make no more fon (fun)/ ye Lion and ye Unicorn/ both fighting for the Crown/ The Lion beat the Unicorn/ all round the English town

I powder with my brother ball, hero like I conquer all

Yankee Doodle came to town/ Wareing (wearing) linen britches/He made the Red Coats leave the Sound/ and filled up all his ditches.

And of course, the owner's name, date, maps, etc.

Jack Wilson said:
"There once was a man from Nantucket
Who carried his round balls in a bucket"?

i like Necci's better, but let's keep it "G" - don't want to sound like a prude, but remember that there might be the little kidtelling his mommy all about the funny man at the range...

just a thought...

-----here I sit all broken hearted tried to @@@@ but only ######--------------- :idunno: :idunno:

"Black powder, White smoke, If my wife cooks this we will all choke."

"Pull the trigger, drop the flint, shot my Brother, damn barrels bent."

"Homemade grenade."

I can see some here are trying to be funny instead of really trying to help. Also, this IS a family friendly forum, so lets not forget!

Here are some places to look for horn inscriptions:
http://pages.prodigy.net/jmiller.cb/prs10.html

Book: THE AMERICAN ENGRAVED POWDER HORN by, Steven Grancsay

http://www.longrifle.ws/

Remember!..Wrong spellings were common, so don't correct, if you want to be HC for inscription accuracy.

Rick

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all for the information.
I will post a pic of the finished horn once I am done.
BillK

If I should lose and you should find, return to me for it is mine.

I powder, and my brother ball, am hero like to conquer all. (Variation on Mazo Kid's rhyme)

You put your left foot in, you take your left foot out, you put your left foot in and you shake it all about . . .

She took the corner, 90 per, they hauled away, what had been her.

What a wonderful bird the frog are!
When he stand he sit almost;
When he hop he fly almost.
He ain't got no sense hardly;
He ain't got no tail hardly either.
When he sit, he sit on what he ain't got almost.

For a fowler:
More powder, less led, up close, wide spread.
Less powder, more lead, shoots far, kills dead.

I made a matched set, awhile back, for a friend. The charge horn read "Lord, help my ball to fly true, to provide fresh meat for the stew". The prime horn read, "Amen".

On a rum horn, I used a variation of a George Washington quote, as follows: "Tis better to imbibe alone , than in bad company.". George was a wise man.

Here are some I like, the first is my favorite.

Be always at war with your vices at peace with your neighbors and let each new year find you a better man. Benjamin Franklin

Do not corner something that you know is meaner than you.

Don't judge folks by their relatives.

Remember that silence is sometimes the best answer.

Every path has a few puddles.

:v

Back