• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help with Short Flint Life

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Baron said:
Here's another question... if I unscrew my frizzen from the lock (1 screw), will I be able to get the frizzen back on? It seems that the frizzen spring might push up and have to be depressed to allow installation of the frizzen again? (and I suspect there is a tool for that?).

Yep, the tool I use is a screwdriver placed under the pan. Using the bottom of the pan as a fulcrum, with the tip of the screwdriver on the front of the frizzen spring, lift on the handle to depress the spring.
J.D.

Your best bet would be to buy a spring cramp from one of the on-line stores. Track has a couple of styles available.

Frizzen spring vise looks like this
a5_12.jpg

The mainspring vise is slightly different, but the trick for both is to compress the spring first then attach the vice as a clamp. If there's room you can use a mainspring vise for the frizzen spring as well.
Bill

The Baron said:
Here's another question... if I unscrew my frizzen from the lock (1 screw), will I be able to get the frizzen back on? It seems that the frizzen spring might push up and have to be depressed to allow installation of the frizzen again? (and I suspect there is a tool for that?).

There are two spring vices out there. One for the mainspring and another for the frizzen spring. I know several companies can supply them including Track and Dixie. The vice for the frizzen spring is double ended with a screw to use either end.

The Baron said:
For the frizzen spring, a simple, inexpensive, local alternative is simply a smallest size 1.5" C-clamp...I use it every time I clean my lock after a range trip...to remove, clean, and relube my frizzen pivot screw and the pivot holes in the frizzen & frizzen bridle...hardware stores have them

Back