• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Paskowski

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi, I'm interested in getting my first muzzleloader, but have many questions. What's a good caliber to start with, barrel length, flint or percussion? I'm leaning towards the TVM poorboy southern.

:thumbsup: Welcome. What are you going to do with the gun? hunt? large or small game? target shoot? I'm pretty new at this too. I'm getting into re-enacting, buckskinning along with hunting.
Let us know what your interests are and we will point you in the right direction. By the way, nobody can have just 1 muzzleloader. It just ain't proper.

Jac S. Muell

You could hunt a whitetail or two with a .50 caliber, maybe even three. Then you could hunt small game with reduced powder charges. Good caliber for a lot of shooting.

WV DAVE said:
Hi, I'm interested in getting my first muzzleloader, but have many questions. What's a good caliber to start with, barrel length, flint or percussion? I'm leaning towards the TVM poorboy southern.

Well THAT's alot to consider.....

Caliber: What are you wanting to DO with the gun? I wanted to hunt 1st and plink 2nd. Went with a .50 regret not going .54 right off...Am "upgrading" to .54's as we speak. Course you can NEVER have to many guns. IF you are thinking plinking instead well then a .36 to .45 might be your bag and cheaper to shoot. A squirle hunter? prehaps a .32 or .36 cal?

Barrel length: Some think it a falic symbol that can never be to long. But for conicals 26" or longer. For round balls start at 30" and go from there...just my opinion.

I like precussion because I want to kill a deer FIRST have fun shooting 2nd and precussions are a little more fool proof...My wife has her opinions about this too :wink: If you want to just enjoy the experiance of black powder and plinking OR if you enjoy more of a "challange" then flint my be more to your liking.

TVM poorboy southern: Dont have one but by most accounts is should be a great first gun; I say FIRST cuz one will NEVER do, see?
I would also encourage T/C's hawken IF you like that look because I believe that they are the BEST company to do business with PERIOD when buying a production gun...Im talking cust Service and warranty.

More experianced people then me will now set you straight so have FUN!!!!!

P.S. IF you can try as many guns as possible (shoot em if you can)BEFORE buying; Make sure that THAT gun fits YOU!

:thumbsup:

Ok, You would probably want a .32 for your small game. Your southern mtn would fill that bill nicely. You'll want at least a .45 for big game. A lot of people will say that as a minimum. A .50 or .54 for deer and larger. A .54 mtn rifle also fits the mountain man image. Do you want a ready built or kit. I'm looking to build my own guns starting with kits and working my way up.

Jac S. Muell

Also, are you looking to get a kit to put together or buy one off the shelf? New or used? What price range are you looking at? On the lower end of the price spectrum, you can't go wrong with a Traditions, Lyman Great Plains or Trade Gun. I built a Lyman GPR and am quite happy with it.
Scott

I think you should start with a low priced gun that you could make your beginner mistakes with. You will learn the hard way about cleaning and oiling your gun. I have an 1861 Springfield that I managed to stain the barrel the third time I cleaned it by letting cleaner dry on it, only took a minute to go to pee and came back to a learning experience.My blued barrels never did that. Got one gun with a rusty fingerprint on it, thought i cleaned it good but missed a spot that everyone points out to me.

A LGP .50 is a very nice starter gun and passes for the Mt. man period. the Poh boys are nice but handle much better with lighter smaller cal/thiner barrels
you nave some things to consider, price range, usage, (hunting/re-enacting/ paper punching/trail walks/ and if history is a part of your gig you may want to consider the dreaded PC/HC factor, which usually translates to a higher cost in most gun styles due to lock, stock, and barrel options, you will get enough replies here to choke a stout mule,sort thru them and ask questions as needed and as the wheat seperates from the chaff your decision will be an intelligent and informed one, welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.

Latest posts

Back