• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Here's a Beauty! Need help identifying...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djealas

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi All, I've recently acquired this flintlock from a private collector, and request some help in identifying it. There is an attribution written on it, otherwise there are no identifying marks. I'm interested in knowing who made, where it is from, when it was made. It looks like something that belonged to royalty. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.Regards, Marc

flint1.jpg

flint4.jpg

flint3.jpg

and I'll go with thats a cool rear sight :grin: neat piece! :v

djealas - I assume a fine looking pistol like that wasn't cheap. I'm suprised the "collector" you purchased it from didn't know anything about it.

Is it common practice to purchase collectible guns without knowing if they are reproductions?

Pedigrees can get lost over time. Still a nice piece. What's the shield with lettering behind the rear sight? Perhaps that's a good starting point in your search?

Hey neat I have the same gun, I built it from a kit I bought from traditions...Just kidding, nice gun, I can't imagine buying it without knowing anything about it though...unless of course the price was right. :winking:

juanvaldez said:
I can't imagine buying it without knowing anything about it though...unless of course the price was right. :winking:

Heck I'd buy it, it's gorgeous :rotf:

Well, thanks for all the replies! To answer your questions, yes, the price was excellent, the owner bought it at an auction, but sold it through a broker, who contacted me, but had little information, other than a rough translation of the attribution, which implies "A Lady, Unencumbered". He also believed it was Italian. I know, its not much to go on, and yes, I'm a rank amateur, but it was so beautiful I wanted it. When I find out more I'll post it. And thanks for scaring the manure out of me with the "phony" comments. Best Regards, Marc

Well, the attribution makes sense. Getting caught with a lady unencumbered that didn't share your last name was a good way to get some practical pistol experience in the 18th century! :shocked2:

I'd go along with Mike Brooks and others in that it is probably Italian and after 1800.
The lock shows, I think, some French influence, particularly the rain-proof pan and the frizen having both an outer screw support and the screw entering from the inside.

No matter its origins it's a very nice piece. Colour me green :grin:

Colonial Boy.

Hello Tac, Here's a close up of the lock, my camera ain't the best. The inlay is about as good as I can get with this camera. I appreciate the additional comments from Colonial boy and John Nichols. If I may display my ignorance, what characteristics lead you to believe it was made after 1800. I'm still in learning mode. Best Regards, Marc Dugas
flint2.jpg

I'm certainly not an expert, but I believe the roller on the end of the frizzen spring is an example of a late lock, as is the smaller pan with the water channels. My Henry Nock pistol has both those features (he died in 1803, if I remember correctly). That's a nice piece. As to originality vs. reproduction, most people who would do that type of work today with the attention to detail that you seem to have in that piece would also charge as much or more than you often find in an original!

So... what kind of accuracy are you getting? :grin:

Hello colmoultrie,

Thank you for your help. I'm not skeptical about it being original, the seller is reputable! He took pity on my ignorance, luckily. However, if it were to prove otherwise, I know where he lives, and I'll let you know how accurate it was. I was able to get 2 more decent photos, one of the gold inlay and one of the crest, which appears to be L.F. with a standing lion underneath. Once again, thank you to all who have replied, even to undermine my confidence. :winking:
Regards, Marc
flint5.jpg

flint6.jpg

Hi!
I can´t be much help identifying the pistol but I just googled "Damas Fin" and came up with tons of spanish websites.
I´m probably not the brightest pearl in the rosary but I would assume the pistol is of spanish origin, unless it may have been "envogue" in the days of the making to put spanish phrases on weapons.
Latin insignias still have a certain magic today, for instance.

The pistol is very nice!

RackwitzG, Germany

Thank you Rackwitz G and Colonial Boy! I am grateful for your input. Curiouser and curiouser. I've had one fellow checking out the crest, he's found one very similar that is of Hungarian origin, but it's much older, 15th century. Hope to unravel this origin mystery. Regards, Marc

Los saludos los caballeros estimados -

Sería el primero admitir que mis conocimientos de español son limitado a los temas coloquiales normales. Es con el pesar más grande de que tengo que decir que no tengo la pericia percibir la trascendencia del palabras "Damas fin' en la lengua española. A mí solamente tiene el significado del 'Ladies' end'.
Quizás a un hablante legítimo de español le importaría ofrecer su opinión?
La alternativa es que la incrustación no es en español, pero en francés, y para esto tiene el significado de 'Damascus fine' de este modo aludiendo al método de la fabricación de cañón.
Desgraciadamente, mis conocimientos de la lengua francesa son incluso less que mis conocimientos de español así que usted tendrá que depender de un traductor que es más inteligente que soy.

¡Yo poder ofrecer todas mis disculpas profundas para mis defectos de lingual a usted otra vez!

Felicitations de la ribera

tac

Latest posts

Back