• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hessian Muskets

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Can anyone tell me what type of muskets Hessian soldiers carried during the Revolutionary War? I would imagine they would have come with their own firearms instead of receiving Brown Bess muskets from the British. Track of the Wolf has a 1740 Potsdam musket on their site--is this something Hessians would have used? Not that I want one--I'm just curious as to what they carried--I would believe it would be a musket from one of the German states of the period.
Thanks,
Ron

Prussian in origin. A friend of mine bought one of these off of Track. He had to drill the barrel and evidently, the frizzen was already hardened. It's a fine gun functionally and he's pleased with it it. Of course, it is a India made gun...but having recently added one to my own collection, I'm not so sure that's a bad thing. :wink:

RW1,
Get a copy of Muskets of the American Revolution by Bill Ahearn. It has a very good section on German muskets. He has a good description of the Model 1740 Prussian musket of which your looking at. Theres no documented muskets of that make used here, but he said there are documented muskets that are very similar in style that are proven to be used during the war. So you could get away with it in my opinion. It's interesting that according to the book, the Lossberg Regt. at Trenton was using Dutch made muskets, so I guess they used what was available just like any army of the time. I'd go with a TRS kit over a India gun though is your serious about receating one.
Wallgunner

Latest posts

Back