• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hey everyone/unsure about some small cannons I got from my step father. Any help?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shivmo

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hey everyone, new member looking to get some info on some small cannons my step father had collected. I’m not sure the value on any of these. What would these type of cannons be called? Any help is mucho appreciated. Thanks again.

IMG_4929.jpeg
IMG_4928.jpeg
IMG_4927.jpeg

I don't want to buy them. I just want to shoot them. They look serviceable to me.

Since most of them look like they're ignited by a fuse it'll be easy to test them. Buy some black powder and green fuse at your local sporting goods store. Measure the bores with a caliper and you can buy just about any size cork or plastic ball from Amazon for a projectile. No need for a really tight fit. That they slide down the barrel will be sufficient. A pinch of powder, push the ball down the barrel, point in a safe direction, and live by the old Chinese adage, "Light fuse and get away".

Trick is only a dash of powder and a very light projectile and I am 99% sure they will go bang.

Quite the collection, it looks like a variety of combustible and maybe non combustible types. A couple appear to be black powder specific. The typical model black powder cannon may go for 150-200. The others I have no clue about as far as value.

I'll bet your can google lens the photos and find info on each one of them. There is a subculture of these things and a market.

The only guy I know who's into cannons is into the full sized working ones. I don't know anyone who is into the miniature ones

What fun. I see several "Bangsite" cannons (they have a water reservoir and a spark plug). Bauxite (an ore of Aluminum) produces acetylene gas when introduced into water. So those cannons have a small spoon you can load with Bauxite/"Bangsite", insert, lock in place, and then tip. 10 seconds later you push the ignitor (uses a cigarette lighter "flint"). And then a huge BANG! follows. I had one, but one "BANG!" cracked the water reservoir and that was that.

https://www.bigbangcannons.com/. WOW! Talk about inflation. As I recall the one I owned cost $9.99 in the 1970's.

Same cannon (the 60MM "Military") is now $160.00!

Last edited:
Several of these seem to be pot metal or cast zinc replicas and might not stand up to even a small load of black powder without turning into a grenade. At least one looks like a noise maker (see the bauxite comment) and should not be used with any powder besides its preferred fuel.
Please be careful before you start loading with anything flammible or explosive.
The collectors items should be considered just that - collector's items.
If the bore is rifled it is likely a shootable piece.
Oh, and please check to see if any are already loaded!

Do they shoot at all or are they "desk adornments" ??

LD
Ok, here is when I age myself. Several of them look like toy artillery pieces I collected when I was a boy in the 1940s. The brand name "Tootsietoys" comes to mind. They are spring powered and shot little cylindrical soft metal shells" My best friend and I had many artillery. duels with these. I believe they were British toys imported to the US.

Back