• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hickock 45 Dry Balls It

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think of the dozen or so dry balls I’ve had I have only pulled one. All the others I’ve cleared exactly like that. Always works for me.

I have read somewhere, I think on this forum, that the bolster screw is there only to plug a hole that was necessary in the manufacturing process and was never intended as a cleanout access. Can anyone clarify?

I'm one of those that identify the "cleanout" screw as a manufacturing plug. Many original rifles do not have that threaded plug in the drum or as part of the breech plug. T/C has called the treaded plug a "cleanout" screw and after replacing so many ruined screws redesigned their breech to eliminate it.

Now, of course when the threaded plug with a slot exists, it can be used with the purpose of augmenting the cleaning flush with a percussion nipple removed. One does get more cleaning solvent through the approximately 1/4" nipple hole than the #8 threaded "cleanout" hole and it can be useful for adding powder when dry balled. On general those threaded plugs are too soft and often the slotted head is ruined by over torquing or the threads are turned in too far and block the nipple or cover nipple's flash hole. The fouling will freeze the plug in place. Best to believe it doesn't exist and leave it alone.

I'm one of those that identify the "cleanout" screw as a manufacturing plug. Many original rifles do not have that threaded plug in the drum or as part of the breech plug. T/C has called the treaded plug a "cleanout" screw and after replacing so many ruined screws redesigned their breech to eliminate it.

I think the only older TC I have that doesn't have that screw messed up us one I found NIB on consignment some years ago. What's bad, even after moving that machining port to the other side and removing the head of the plug during finishing you still run across one every now and then that someone has messed with it. Been a couple threads on here in the last year or so about needing a replacement plug on the later ones because people can't leave stuff alone.

Back