• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hickock 45 Dry Balls It

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although I myself have not dug any minie balls that have screw holes in the nose, meaning they were pulled from the bore, I know relic hunters who have dug them and I have seen one or two. I believe those who lived their entire lives using nothing but muzzleloaders, making sure the powder preceded the projectile were not that prone to get the order wrong. Not saying it didn’t happen, especially during the heat of a Napoleonic type battle.

The dry ball was intentional. He said as much. Clearing the dry ball by means of powder dribbling was what the video was all about.
Maybe, but "he said as much", no I don't think so. That's not what I got from the video, that it was all play-acting. At best, he screwed up and took advantage of his screw-up to do some instruction. Because frankly, the example clearing the dry ball in the video was probably just luck that it was percussion with a clean-out screw, and that case is not at all representative of the usual case. So .... I disagree with your opinion, sorry.

Maybe, but "he said as much", no I don't think so. That's not what I got from the video, that it was all play-acting. At best, he screwed up and took advantage of his screw-up to do some instruction. Because frankly, the example clearing the dry ball in the video was probably just luck that it was percussion with a clean-out screw, and that case is not at all representative of the usual case. So .... I disagree with your opinion, sorry.
It was pretty clear from the outset that his was about the heat of battle leading to a no powder load and he set it up that way as an excuse to show the technique (which was novel to him) and enable him to make a vid that would make it past the censors.

It was pretty clear from the outset that his was about the heat of battle leading to a no powder load and he set it up that way as an excuse to show the technique (which was novel to him) and enable him to make a vid that would make it past the censors.
Well, ya, but maybe video editing can do wonders wrt the final presentation. IMO, he actually did really screw up. And then made the best of it for a "learning" video. And did a good job at that, as usual.

Latest posts

Back