• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Highlighting grain in cherry stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have another Cherry stock coming for my woodsrunner. It has a lot of grain lines in it. The other 2 cherry stocks I have finished I used lime and then chambers oil.
Is there a process I can use to highlight the figure? Something like you do with aqufortis on Maple.

Attachments

• image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    587.9 KB
When using chemical stains like AQF or lye, make a solution according to a formula others use. Take a third of that solution and add an equal amount of water. Try this dilute solution first. If not dark enough make a mix of the dilute and full strength. If not dark enough use the full strength solution.

I don’t care for figure in cherry. Plain is good. Just a personal preference. It’s not like curly maple to me.

I used bone black to highlight the grain in this one. Not for sure if it would make the figure pop though. You can experiment on the inside of the barrel channel.

Attachments

• 20230524_115759.jpg
    20230524_115759.jpg
    3.6 MB
Back