• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hog hunting/Russian Boar

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A hoax yes but still a large domestic X wild pig .[url] http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/photogallery/explorer_hogzilla/[/url] . I don't know if they are Russian in Texas but I know a fellow that hunts them with nothing more then self bows (home made laminated re curve) and other times with his dogs and a large Bowie knife. He is a bit old now so he will mostly use a .44 Mag. . It is definitely not to be taken lightly. He has many stories of sewing his dogs up after a hunt. I would like to try it with a spear. A very long spear. [url] http://www.usashooters.org/artman/publish/printer_22.shtml[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a picture of a what looks to be Russian Boar..don't know nothin about it and looks like a little trickery with the photo....but still looks like a big hog.
6D2FB75F78C14060BFF7432E4678DDF7.jpg

Boar (Sus scrofta)is the most dangerous wild animal in Poland, following wolfs and bears. Every little child knows, if you meet a boar in the forrest go fast on the closest tree :) Specilly female boar with group of little boars (4-5) are very dangerous. She attaks in amok every one, she meets. Boars live here in groups, even 20 - 25 animals. They can be very oppresive for farmers, because they destroy potato fields. But it is very easy to domestycate a boar :) My parents live in country, many forrests around. They watched a young boar, which was coming every evening to search something to eat between trash :) One day my mother prepared a bowl ful of potatos for him. The boar eated all and next day he waited just at the same hour for food, sitting easy in front of the hause :) He was not scared, exactely like a big dog :)

For hunters fangs of big boar (about 700 pounds), called "sabres" here in hunters slang, are most wanted trophy. There is many races of dogs too, specilly for boar hunting. Many dogs die in fight with big boars and there is every year someone, who comes back wounded by a boar from hunting.
dzik1.jpg

boar's track:
dzik---tropy.jpg

and little boars:
Wildsau_mit_Frischling.jpg

They have this funny "camouflage" about first 8 months.

You would be hard pressed to find ANY Russian Boar in Texas or in any state of our union. You may find a captive Russian Boar in a game fence that someone might let you kill for a fee. If you research old Euro Boar hunts, seldom will you find illustrations of hunts w/o dogs in them. I beleive thats were the Boar got his nasty rep. All of the adds for "Wild Boar Hunts" are nothing more then feral pigs. "Wild Feral Pig Hunts" just doesn't have the same ring/mystique to it LOL. With an animal that can breed every 3 months 3 weeks 3days (basically three times a year) the Russian Boar strain was diluted & just about eliminated many many moons ago. The majority of the feral pigs in the US have absolutely no connection to Russian Boar. They are just that,feral pigs. Extremely smart & wary, poor sight but make up for it w/ their nose. They are an awesome game animal. As far as danger, any cornered or wounded animal is dangerous. Feral pigs of any size will bolt for nearest cover @ the slightest change in noise or smell to their present surroundings. You would be more apt to be false charged by a sow w/ piglets then a mature male. I have spent probably over 20 yrs hunting & putting hunters on feral pigs w/ bows & all types of firearms, from daylight gun/bow hunts to full moon evening bow hunts & have yet to come close to being charged. I did have a hunter get freight trained by a large pig once, only because after he shot the pig w/ his bow the pig either had to jump off the adjacent 10' ravine or come out the trail the hunter was on. Most injuries from feral pigs are usually to catch dogs, knife/spear hunters or stipidity, but again if you have any wounded or cornered wild animal the chance for injury increases. So smart are feral pigs, after about 3 days of hard hunting on several ranch's that I hunt they will totally dissappear during daylight hours & become nocturnal for quite a few days afterwards. My favorite way to hunt them is w/ a bow, second would be my Ml rifle. I have seen large males take a direct hit on the shoulder shield from a 243 to 7 mags & still get up & run. If you knock one down w/ a rifle it would be prudent to quickly reload & watch that animal until it absolutely stops breathing. Blood trailing to soon is another very serious mistake, male or female pig. My favorite pig & whitetail bullet is a 200 gr TC Shockwave. I have shot the gamut of ML bullets @ pigs & the TC SW is to me the best. If you get the chance to pig hunt, go for it, you will really enjoy it. If you need a Texas connection give me a shout.
Peace
HTG

oomcurt said:
Kinda curious about something. Now, I know nothing about hog hunting, except what I read in mags like Field and Stream years ago. I had always heard that a truly wild Russian Boar was the next thing to the devil incarnate if he decided he didn't like you...well, how does that stack up against what I would call feral hogs? What I am getting at...was that all hype...that if given the chance the Russian hog would literally take one apart? Reason I am asking all this is that today with all the game farms in so many states...are there any of them in the west or southwest states? And if so...maybe, maybe I might be tempted into checking things out further. If...all that is offered is a hunt for feral hogs...I dunno. From pics I have seen our feral hogs look nothing like the Russian variety.

I live in Colorado and hunt Wild Boar in Texas. My last hunt was at the Boars Den ([url] www.theboarsden.com[/url] ) Good accomodations and service. They have about 700 acres of fenced in property. They trap wild boar from surrounding ranches and release them on their property.

The wild boar that I've seen and shot certainly looked like the Russian Boar. Most of the Russian Boar weigh under 350 pounds. Anything heavier than that probably has mixed with ferrel hogs. I doubt that even a coyote would eat one of the big tuskers. The smaller ones up to about 200 lbs are very lean and good to eat.

The big ones are almost armor plated. They develop really tough hides. They run in packs but are always fighting with each other. The tough hides protect them from each others razor sharp tusks. A dog learns in a hurry to avoid the tusks.

Yes, the larger boars are very tough to knock down, especially if hit in the shoulder area where all the armor is. I didn't have any trouble with the one in the picture below. My 550 gr. .72 caliber ball flipped it over on it's back and that's where it stayed!

BoarsDen011A.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
hadtogo said:
You would be hard pressed to find ANY Russian Boar in Texas or in any state of our union. You may find a captive Russian Boar in a game fence that someone might let you kill for a fee.
Unfortunately the Russian Boars escape and do become very prolific!Alabama state route 27 between Enterprise & Ozark,Al run through Fort Rucker Army Base Gunner range.The russians were released by the army.Many people have permits to hunt them.Also many a Motorist have connected after Dark. :shake:I have seen the piglets they look like Bartek's photo-racing strips,same as the one's I have seen in Graham County,Smokey Mountains,North Carolina.The Dogs are used to track because as you have seen yourself Hogs are very smart :hmm:

Good reading. we have some pigs here in nj lately. Got on my friends golf corse the danage was unbeivalbe destory some of his green and fairway. over100,000$ plus. They kill a few but they are hard to kill now they went noctural.

Yep..just picture this here hog root'n on a nice manicured golf course green......
rootin.jpg

spitfire said:
Nice photo Hoyt.Did you have any luck hunt'n the pigs the other weekend?

No..Spitfire..to tell you the truth, it was pourin down rain Sat..so I didn't go, but got up at 4:30am Sun. morning got down there just enough time to walk about a mile to where I wanted to wade in before daylight and when I got about 3/4mi. I started feeling nauseous, weak legged and had a cold sweat on the back of my neck. So I found a log that was above water and sat on it a while then eased back out and came home.
This is the last wk-end and it's suppose to rain tomorrow..might give it one last go Sun. The Dr. changed my med's around this wk so maybe I'll have better luck.

Latest posts

Back