• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hog Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes I have used my .44's on 2 feral hogs. I should say right off that one of my nephews was in the blind with me carrying his H&R 20 ga Mag loaded with 3" #2 buck.
I used my '58 Rem loaded with a Lee mold conical over 32 gr 3F and my ROA loaded with a Lee conical over as much 3F as I could load I got a small one with the '58 in the base of skull - 1 shot DRT.
the large sow I took the shot while it was sort of 'trotting' by at about 50' and hit too far back and high. it whirled and ran off befor eeither of us could shoot again. I knew I had a good hit and it turned out that the first shot went through both lung tips but that thing went over 1/4 mile before we found it still blowing blood in thicket so I popped it again in the head.
the small one we cleaned and tossed it onto a grill made from oil drum and not a scrap was left of it. this was at hunt camp the first day with 10 men +dogs.
the large one I got next year we cut up and made sausage of some of it and some we B-B-Q'd. good eating too.
I'd recommend you have someone backing you up with a BP rifle or smoothy or a center-fire shotty. they can sure whirl and run or charge fast.

For hogs, I'd want at least a walker or ROA, loaded max.

There's a guy in this town who does some strange stuff. he would carry two Lyman percussion pistols loaded up with maxi's I understand that back in March he killed one with a spear. On the other hand, I've heard complaints about how tame the hogs are at the preserve he goes to. (Personally, I won't hunt in a cage, and bait is for ridding the world of pests, not for hunting.)

bdhutier said:
I read a while ago, I read about how some people hunt hogs with knives!!! Now, THAT's cojones!!
Not as much as you think. The dogs have a hold on the hog and the guide may have one of its back legs. I have taken a couple of smaller ones with a Cold Steel boar spear and they dropped like they had been hit by lightning. The guide told me that the ones taken with a spear often times go down faster than ones that have been shot. The advantage of using a spear over a big knife or a gun when hunting with dogs is that you don't have to get quite as close to the hog as with a knife and you don't have to worry as much about hitting one of the dogs as you do when shooting.

We use to catch them live (with dogs) now you talkin about fun, just gotta show lots of respect around the head.
p.s. we packed heat,just in case. :wink: :v

I would not hesitate to use my remi .44 with a stout load if it was legal. But sadly, muzzleloading pistols are not allowed for hunting in my state.

bdhutier said:
I read a while ago, I read about how some people hunt hogs with knives!!! Now, THAT's cojones!!

I know that a guy that lives here does it.
Some hunters even call him up when they wounded one and don´t have the courage to go into the field or whereever they assume it to be. :shocked2: :haha:

Back