• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Holster and gear for a pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deerstalker

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a brass framed 36 caliber revolver, that I think is an 1851 Colt repro, but I am a little unsure. I got the gun in a blanket trade, and it is my first revolver. After a little smithing she is a fine shooter, and don't look too bad to boot! I can post pics if needed to identify. I am looking for a design of at least somewhere near period correct to make a holster, possibly a belt, etc. for this gun. My daughter and I are taking leather classes at the local Tandy store, and I am currently making a holster and belt for my Blackhawk, so I think I will give it a try again for the BP revolver. Would there have been something on a gun belt to carry a flask, balls, etc. or would someone have carried a possibles bag to feed this pistol, much as you would with a rifle? I don't have to have PC down to a museum quality piece, but I would at least like to be within the bases of a ballpark! Hoping some of the experienced guys can help.
Thanks,
Bryan

Would there have been something on a gun belt to carry a flask, balls, etc. or would someone have carried a possibles bag to feed this pistol,

The answer to that would have a lot to do with who's carrying the pistol and what other weapons they have.
If that person is carrying say cap and ball rifle with the pistol, of course he would have shooting gear in a shooting bag.

A cowboy type would most likely carry his pistol in a holster with MAYBE a spare cylinder on his belt, and then keep all the powder, balls and everything else in his saddle bag.

Keep in mind that the real cowboys didn't do a lot of shooting, and during the course of roping cattle etc etc it would just get in the way, so many of them during their normal workday kept their gun and holster in the saddle bag

Hope this helps

"...Keep in mind that the real cowboys didn't do a lot of shooting,..."

WHAT? Don't let Roy or Hoppy hear you say that!
Why, I got a bunch of DVDs of ole Hoppys TV shows and he always was carrying his two Chrome Plated pistols while he was out there tending his cattle. :grin: :rotf:

One easy way to tell if your pistol is a 1851 Colt is to look at the loading lever and the ram attached to it.
If the lever pivots around a screw in the bottom of the barrel it is an 1851. If the loading lever does not have a screw thru the bottom of the barrel and it has a toothed area engaging holes in the underside of the barrel and it "crawls" along these teeth pushing the ram down into the cylinder it is a 1861 Navy.
The 1851 barrel is rather square where the loading lever attaches. The 1860 and 1861 Colt is very smooth and streamlined in this area.

Tandy sells a pattern pack for BP revolvers, holster, flask case and cap pouch. You might ask them about it. I just got a good book that was recommended from some of the guys on this forum. The book is called, "Packing Iron" and has pictures of old holsters and belts from the percussion era and the later centerfire revolvers. Real good book and the pictures are mostly in color. I'm getting all kinds of ideas from this book and it may help you too. :thumbsup:

As for the holster, there were quite a few that appeared to be handmade (that I've seen). So your Tandy class would probably produce something authentic looking.

As for what you carry the rest of your doo-dads in, I found a small leather belt pouch from Dixie gunworks. I put a small buckskin divider in and can fit in my caps, capper, ball bag, small nipple wrench/screwdriver, small rag, tin of grease, and a small brass powder flask. I wear it on my homemade buscadero rig.

I assume you want to have this gear close by for shooting....

Just an opinion......

Legion

Thanks for the input, guys. I do want to have my gear close for shooting. The holster rig I'm working on now is the classic six gun western look tooled leather job. Turning out to be a good one. For my next one, I just want to do something kind of PC for the BP revolver. I will look for the book mentioned, sounds like a good read for a budding leather worker!
Thanks,
Bryan

"...I just want to do something kind of PC for the BP revolver..."

The 1851 .36 caliber Colt was "Brought out in 1850 and manufactured thru 1873: 214348 were made in Hartford..." ("Flaydermans Guide", 6th ed p75) so there is no doubt they were used during the early Cattle era.
As I recall, Wild Bill Hikcock carried a pair of them. (No dammet, I wasn't there.)

The most widely used "civilian" leather for the '51 Navy was the California Slim Jim. Belts were generally straight or tapered end 1.5" to 3" max. Depedning on the impression you want yes belt pouches were carried.
Here's some ideas for you - the belt styles were all used during the period - the tack deco is secondary (these are all packing my '60 Army but the same......):
Gunrig-Plainsman-Colt-Dragoon.jpg

plainsmen-rig-002.jpg

gunrig-013-1.jpg

The pouch on this one is a near (only the deco is different) copy of an original.........
gunrig-002-1.jpg

As Cooner noted above the "bible" of old west gun leather is the book Packing Iron - for patterns for the Slim Jim take a look at Will Ghormley's Old West Collection offered by Tandy/Leather Factory or buy direct from him..........

hope this helps...........

Gray Wolf, that is SOME. Gotta love those Slim Jims. I always like it when ya post pictures of your work. Thanks, Don

:thumbsup:

If you are going to buy some gunleather and want cool looking mountain man/Native American influenced stuff Chuck Burrows (Wild Rose Trading Company) is the man to see. His stuff gets pricey but it is worth every penny. The quality of it is super.

There were rigs other than the slim jims, but no one will argue the authenticity of that style holster. They're correct all the way up through the '73 Single-action Army Colt, though as you get into the last quarter of the 19th century the variations on the Mexican loop style of holster increased in popularity.

Tom,
Thanks for the information. I want to make all my own leather stuff, but the DVD he is offering will be on my wishlist. I think Tandy has a bunch of pattern packs in both styles, so I may just get one of those and go for it. I have to finish the one I'm working on first, though!
Thanks,
Bryan

I use the Wil Gromhley patterns from Tandy. They are an excellent reference. I have a Tandy Leather Factory near by, it can be rather addicting. If you plan to do a lot of purchases, then I suggest you join the wholesale club. I probably ended up spending in excess of $5,000 dollars there over the last two years, and it paid off being a wholesale member. Them tools and leather can add up after a while. Also, you can occasionally get extra savings on sale items or wholesale member only sales.

Couple more thoughts...There was a fishscale pattern that was pretty popular. I am working on my memory but I think Wild Bill Hickok had a slim jim with incised patterns on patten leather and also a leather with the fishscale. The fishscale looks similar to basket weave except it is little semi-circles, like fishscale shingles on a house.
The "possibles bag" Has anyone ever actually seen one of these for a pistol? Where? I think I read that Hickok loaded from a flask to start but carried packets of combustible ammunition for back up. No one talks about combustible ammunition because it is DANGEROUS as all get out but the Northern Armies used millions and millions of these rounds. I think they purchased over 15 million rounds from Colt and Sage.

Thanks for the heads up, Tom. I already joined the wholesale club, and you're right, it pays off well! You also get the classes for free at our local store, so it is really a bargain. The holster and belt I'm making now is from their kit, and I think the next one will be from scratch. My next project, before the holster, will be a shot flask and a possibles bag to support my Navy SXS 12 guage. The leather work is just about as addictive as blackpowder and traditional archery has been!
Bryan

As you sew more stuff, your stitches get better and more even. I would suggest a sharpening stone with honing oil and a strop for your awl. I was making one of my larger puchases early on and the local leather factory just gave me a long narrow scrap of leather for a strop.

Tom, do you have an e-mail address for wild rose trading co.Thanks,murf :hatsoff:

murf said:
Tom, do you have an e-mail address for wild rose trading co.Thanks,murf :hatsoff:

Gray Wolf (aka.Chuck Burrows) at Wild Rose Trading Company. Website is:[url] http://wrtcleather.com/[/url]
You can reach him from there.
Don

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back