• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Holy Black Cans

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So,

Was visiting with a friend of the family and he pulled out three old cans and said, “Pick one.” My choices were an older DuPont 3F, “Kings Low pressure “ and this one…

Attachments

• B68E9B3F-2BD1-47D0-BE95-A5393214A20B.jpeg
    B68E9B3F-2BD1-47D0-BE95-A5393214A20B.jpeg
    2.3 MB
  • 1DE39DB0-E2D2-47B6-B36A-2EC6FDA4AD0E.jpeg
    1DE39DB0-E2D2-47B6-B36A-2EC6FDA4AD0E.jpeg
    2.3 MB
  • 9F3D1877-AD13-448A-9BCB-43C1CAE1F795.jpeg
    9F3D1877-AD13-448A-9BCB-43C1CAE1F795.jpeg
    2.9 MB
I’ve heard of Hazard powder but don’t recall ever seeing a can - very nice!

About 45 years ago a friend gave me an old can of DuPont 3f. It was probably 50 years old when I got it. I shot all the powder and it worked just fine. I kept the can for many years and one day I ran across the empty can and on a whim decided to post it for auction on eBay. Ended up selling it to someone in Alaska for $65! Never expected it was worth that much to anyone, but maybe in hindsight it was a good buy for him!

That was a great gift, @Rod Man ! Nicely documented, too.

I've heard of King's Semi-Smokeless, but have never used it. I'm not really sure what it was, but I have seen it referenced in the old blackpowder literature and people did use it in their muzzle loaders. I have a little handbook my dad gave me many years ago, entitled For Beginners Only, written by B.M. Baxter and published in 1949 by the NMLRA. The author has this to say about King's powder: "King's Semi-smokeless powder is preferred by many but is off the market at present [1949], still some might be found in stock. King's 'Semi' is usually recommended in grain one grade coarser than black powder" (pp. 39-40). Baxter did later go on to say, in all capitals, "DON'T USE SMOKELESS POWDER OF ANY KIND IN YOUR MUZZLELOADER...", so he was certainly aware of the issues. This leads me to believe the "Semi-Smokeless" name may have been a marketing ploy, and the actual propellant was likely just some form of black powder. We wonder if it might have been a precursor to today's black powder substitutes, e.g. Pyrodex or Triple Seven. I don't know that... I'm just speculating here. Walter Cline described using King's Semi-Smokeless in his book, The Muzzle Loading Rifle, Then and Now, and in fact Ned Roberts mentioned it in his book, on the page right after the one shown in the photo. Roberts didn't like it, and he appeared to think it had different burning characteristics from the other black powders.

Any of those cans would have been nice for a collection, but I would say you picked the right one!

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Last edited:
So,

Was visiting with a friend of the family and he pulled out three old cans and said, “Pick one.” My choices were an older DuPont 3F, “Kings Low pressure “ and this one…
Does anyone know when the ridiculous term “ holy black “ was first used, and more importantly, WHY?
Afterall, truth be told, it’s just gunpowder, there NOTHING “ holy “ about it.

According to some on here, it is holy and to use anything else is pure sacrilege. However to answer your question, I do not know precisely but suspect its modern (since the arrival of subs).
Walk

I think so to. I didn’t start hearing it until after Pyrodex became common. The idea being, I suppose, that using a substitute is a sacrilege of some kind.

Does anyone know when the ridiculous term “ holy black “ was first used, and more importantly, WHY?
Afterall, truth be told, it’s just gunpowder, there NOTHING “ holy “ about it.

Ridiculous is right.

Every time I read it, I roll my eyes.

I'm embarrassed for the guys that say it.

Ha! Ha! You peeps are amazing, maybe I called it that. because that’s what you put in the “Holy HandGrenade”. What does it matter what we call it. Let me guess, your panties get twisted when I mention the “Master Bedroom” as well since the term “Master” offends you? Whatever. If you don’t like the term, don’t read the post where it’s used. Simple. Most of the old hands on this forum use the term to describe old school black powder and the Tin is certainly “OLD”. That’s why I used it . @Ninering62 you need to chill!, get that chip off your shoulder, you know it was not slight from me for those that use synthetics cuz I have said many times I don’t care what you shoot in your guns or what kinda gun you shoot! Geez Louise! Lighten up guys this stuff is supposed to be fun.

RM

Last edited:
I traded 6 cans of old Curtis & Harvey Dimond Grain black powder for 1 dozen beers , I didn't find it nearly as good as Goex and eventually fired it off in a canon . I never kept the tins , oh well .
The only licensed black powder manufacturer here in New Zealand has named his powder "Holy Smoke" and those who have used it say it is almost as good as Swiss .

There was no powder in this one. I think the bottom line is what we shoot today is just different. That’s probably the Capt. Obvious statement of the day.😄 What I found most interesting in the “scripture / text” 😆 was that Mr. Robert’s specifically says that they used 2F in 30 cal’s. That turns everything on its head for me as I was always told growing up “2F for 50 and up.” You can’t tell I’m enjoying this book can you? 🙄😆

So,

That's a very cool can , would love to find one of them !

Back