• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Home made flinter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DannyB

36 Cal.
Reaction score
270432.JPG

The barrel is off of a H&R 12 ga. "long Tom", 36" jug choked. Had an old Siler lock that I traded for, and the ramrod pipes, trigger guard, and butt-plate were left over from previous "projects". Load was 100 gr. of Elephant FFg, 1-1/2 oz of mixed 4, 5, and 6 shot. Cards are cut from a Tide box with a 3/4" punch.

9-1/2" beard, 7/8" spurs, 19 lb. 10 oz.

My first black powder bird.

That's impressive (both gun and bird). My dad built a percussion pistol back in the 70's with a bunch of scrounged parts and a cherry table leg for the stock. He did most of the inletting with a barlow pocket knife. Among the scavaged parts were a trigger and trigger guard from a .30-.40 krag rifle and hammer & sideplate from a greener shotgun. Nothing about it is period correct but it's a neat old gun. I think there were many guns put together like that in the 18th century as well.

Mr. DannyB,
If it would not be too much trouble, would really appreciate a few more photos of the rifle. Especially of the lock and breech area. Very interesting!
Best Wishes

I'd like to see more photos too! It looks like you did a great job. You must have been quite proud when that turkey fell. :front:

I'll have to get my niece to take a few photos, but I'm warning you fellers', Brown Betty is like a lot of the women at a biker rally...They look good from fer' off, but when you get close up, @#$%&%!!!

As far as the card specifics, I use the same type card throughout the load. Easier to keep up with. I use a 3/4" punch and a Tide box. I put 2 cards over the powder, wad up and chew (a little bit) about 1/2 a paper napkin (I'll explain later), put that over the powder, then another card, 1-1/2 oz. of mixed shot, mostly 4's & 6's, but there's probably still 5's, 7-1/2's, and 2's in there as well, and two cards over that. When she goes off, you won't sleep through it, I promise.

The reason for the paper napkin. The barrel on her came off of a H&R 12 ga., "Long Tom", 36" full choke with a 3" chamber. At first I didn't think about the length of the chamber, and after I loaded the shot directly over the powder and card, the card on top of the shot was loose. Then I figgered' out the reason, and presto, end of problem. My Uncle Joe knocked her down to about a modified choke, then jug choked her, and now she's quite the shooter.

Danny nice bird !! and nice gun as others stated would like to see some more pics. :front:

I'll have to get my niece to take a few photos, but I'm warning you fellers', Brown Betty is like a lot of the women at a biker rally...They look good from fer' off, but when you get close up, @#$%&%!!!
:eek: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

My Uncle Joe knocked her down to about a modified choke, then jug choked her, and now she's quite the shooter.

So a choked gun can be jug-choked? What did that entail?

Like I said, she was a full choke to start out. Didn't shoot a pattern worth a flip. Uncle Joe took a cylinder hone, the kind with 3 stones, some cutting fluid, and an electric drill. First, he ran the hone back-and-forth in the muzzle until he thought that it was close to a Modified choke (don't ask me for a measurement, please). Then he marked a spot on the shaft of the hone about 2 inches from the back of the stones with a piece of electrical tape. Then it was back-and-forth again, but this time he didn't go past the front of the tape marker. Basically, he created a bulb inside barrel starting about 2 inches behind the muzzle.

The results were great. It tightened the pattern quite a bit. I was confident enough with it that I hunted with it the next morning and missed a good gobbler with it. My fault, not Brown Betty's.

That is very interesting. Thanks for the information.
Congrats on the bird. :grey:

Latest posts

Back