• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Homemade Cleaning Fluid

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ohio ramrod said:
flintlock62 said:
Yes, first take some corn mash, put it in a big pot with a lid on top and light a fire. You will begin to see little drops come out the end of a spiral tube. Most people catch this liquid in mason jars.

Why waste such a good cleaning fluid on a dirty gun? Just drink it and then @#$%^ on the gun. Yes urine was used both as a cleaning fluild and sometimes as a patch lube. There was an article in muzzle blasts(Bevel brothers ) a couple of years ago where urine was tested as a patch lube and it did quite well! :idunno: :idunno:

My father once told me of using urine in a .30 cal water-cooled machine gun during WWII. Didn't smell nice but it kept the gun running!

Dave

After trying all sorts of varied concoctions, I went to Plain Old Water -- generally dipped out of a cool creek with my badly bent tin cup. It pours so well with that sharp corner.

If the fouling is really bad or baked on, a drop of Dawn dishwashing soap in the water helps break the surface tension of the water and this aids in the cleaning.

Nothing else is really needed unless you use some exotic patch lube which leaves a residue which must be removed.

I see Windex mentioned. I know of several very good shooters who do use this, but they all say that if you use Windex, only buy the type which has vinegar.

CS

Back