• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Horn makes mark

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loja man

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Have a powderhorn that came with a little 45 poorboy rifle I bought a year ago. Never really cared for the horn shape. Was looking at reshaping it with file until I noticed the maker mark. Would hate to rework something that had value. Anyone recognize the maker mark?

Attachments

• IMG_6671.jpeg
    IMG_6671.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6670.jpeg
    IMG_6670.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6672.jpeg
    IMG_6672.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Have a powderhorn that came with a little 45 poorboy rifle I bought a year ago. Never really cared for the horn shape. Was looking at reshaping it with file until I noticed the maker mark. Would hate to rework something that had value. Anyone recognize the maker mark?
If you're fixing to take a file to it to improve it, you probably also think the Mona Lisa was improved when
jackson--pollacked with red paint.

I guess to each their own. I will post it up for sale on the form and if it doesn’t move, I will reap it. Give it a chance to go somebody who loves it as is.

I guess to each their own. I will post it up for sale on the form and if it doesn’t move, I will reap it. Give it a chance to go somebody who loves it as is.
Good luck on your sale, I myself can make some pretty nice stuff, but when I try to improve upon something my eye doesn’t quite like, I always end up ruining something, just me anyways.

Don't recognize the maker's mark, but looks like the body is translucent and the neck pretty thin. I don't think you can do much with a file without breaking through. Somebody will probably like it so selling as is may be best.

I've altered a few flea mkt Horne's from the 1970's , especially if they were flat plug horns. I have a lifetime supply of half inch thick curly maple slabs salvaged from Fred's wood stove firewood . Those flat pine plug flea mkt. horns can be altered positively by epoxieing a hunk of high grade curly maple on the existing flat plug , then jazzing the new plug up with some art work , or just enjoy the stain enhanced curly. Back in the late 1980's , was traveling around the northern end of Lake Champlain , and stopped at an antique shop there. In the rafters , I saw an original 14 inch powder horn , and rescued it from the dirt. It was white , perhaps too white , and the white was lightly coated with tar , or a creosote substance. I could understand why it was darkened , because if carried in a dark woods , the white could have been seen for quite a distance away. So , all I did to it , was replace the missing plug , and replace the rusted off iron nails. It's been a while , but I think I replaced the original missing plug w/a pine one like many old ones had. Fun like this can't be purchased at any price.

Latest posts

Back