• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Horn placement

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenKolb

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have always wore my big 3f powder horn on separate strap opposite side of possibles bag only reason being that when I scrimmed it THe pictured only showed on my left (and the deer do care) :rotf: and I was already used to carrying my bag on the right. and my little deer antler priming horn in a pouch on my strap. just wondering where everybody else wore theirs and maybe why.

I wear both my possibles bag & my horn on the left. I let the weight of the horn help hold the flap of the bag closed. I carry my haversack on the right side.

I wear my horn on the left (it is a left hand carry). My bag I wear on the right and since I'm right handed it works for me...
Scott

I am right handed & wear pouch & horn (horn is attached to pouch straps) on my right.

That said, I may experiment with a higher carry (under elbow) on my left instead of the hip height on my right. What I am thinking is that to reach into the pouch on the strong side, it needs to be low. I also think that modern eyes are perhaps conditioned to think of the low carry as 'cool'. With a high 'weak side' carry, you can get into the higher pouch with a 'cross draw' approach AND, you can hold the pouch and horn tight against your body when running while the rifle is in your stronger hand.
What would Simon Kenton do? :hmm:

I wear my horn high on left side and a belt pouch on my right. I am right handed and can get into my pouch easier that way. With the horn on my left, I can have my measure in my dominant hand to pour into without spillage. I dont know any different as this is how I have always done it. Never really thought about it till now!

Jon

I carry the horn and pouch on my left side because I'm right handed and it just feels better. My horn strap is split and I have a small priming horn hanging on the right. I know it's not the common way to do it but it is a lot easier after I load to drop a charge in the pan and bring the gun up.

I'm right handed so I carry both bag and horn on the right. I thought about putting it on the left, but then I didn't want to be switching hands back and forth during loading. You know, ergonomics!

I'm a lefty and wear both bag and horn on my left side, fairly high. As some others have said, it is easier to control when running (don't do a whole lot of that anymore!) or going through brush.

Seems that this topic pop's up every once in awhile on TMF, and debated.

What works great for one person, right handed or "south paw", doesn't work for another!...

Since 1975, I have made several hundred powder horns and it is about an even 50-50 split on right or left. Several books and publications available list many original horns showing both right and left (horn twist) examples.

I do feel that there is not a wrong or right way...just your own way!
p.s....I wear my pouch on my right and priming horn carried in my pouch and main horn on my left, away from all sparks!.....But that's just me!

Rick

horner...agree, it's what feels right. I'm a lefty, and carry my horn high (under elbow) on right, bag on left, fairly low and back...I can find about anything in the bag by touch..the high carry on the horn is pretty new, I started doing it that way about 2 years ago...Hank

"Mostly" but not always, I carry both my horn and bag quite high on the right. There are times that I carry the horn on the left, if carrying other equipment.(I'm right handed)

I've got both left and right, even though I'm a lefty. It doesn't really seem to matter which I use till I head out on a hunt.

We have really tough country here, with lots of it brushy. The more danglies you have on your body, the more trouble you have with tanglies.

I've ended up hangin my horns from the straps on my bag to cut down on dangles and tangles. Since I usually carry my rifle in my left hand, my hunting bag and horn live on the right. A simple squeeze of my right arm keeps them from swinging and flopping when I'm stooping or crawling through brush. That adds up to bonus points for me. If I was carrying the rifle in my right hand, the bag and horn would be on the left.

Man am I glad that I asked. I have been frontstuffin for maybe a little over fifteen years now and have never thought about carrying it up high for brush (dont really need to worry about running)love that I think I will have to make a new horn and attach it to my straps to experiment. either way it works out good excuse for a new horn. Now wheres that durned cow anyway

I have all my bags(7-8) fixed with the horn on the bag, carry on the right side. My sticker knife on left side. (sticker knife to cut the wild roses) Carry bag at elbow. Dilly

Stumpkiller said:
horner75 said:
. . . I have made several hundred powder horns and it is about an even 50-50 split on right or left. .

I have studied cows and I know why that is. :wink:
Stumpkiller!
Who said anything about cows!.....Out here in Nebraska we use Prairie Unicorn horns!... :rotf:

At first, it seemed to me to make sense to carry one's powderhorns on the side opposite one's dominant / shooting hand. (I.e., horns on the left, if you're a right-handed shooter.) The reason being that the sparks, etc. from one's lock theoretically wouldn't be falling down in the vicinity of one's powderhorns that way.

Then, one of the old-time regulars here clued us in to the fact that when a right-handed shooter is shooting a longarm, he's got the butt of the gun against his right shoulder, and is bracing the gun with his left hand. Thus, the lock of the gun is actually a good ways LEFT of the shooter's right shoulder. Given how one actually holds the gun while shooting, any sparks from a right-handed shooter's lock would probably fall closer to a horn on the shooter's LEFT side than on his right.

Just some ruminations, these.

Back