• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hornady great plains bullet

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only great plains bullet I ever recovered was one that traveled about 30 inches of the deer's body before it stopped. Deer hit with the Hornady great plains bullet reacted about the same as those hit with a 12 ga slug. Some run off and some drop right there. Last fall I shot a deer with a patched round ball and it went 200 yards? I have also seen some deer drop while others run off when using a 30 06. Bottom line the great plains is a good bullet and will work.

Presently a 410 gr. 50 cal. Buffalo Bullet is used for elk in a TC Hawken and does an excellent job, but have been thinking of using a slightly lighter bullet...the Hornady 385 gr sounds good. Also, the 410 gr. Buffalo Bullets are hard to find.

The reason for using the Buffalo Bullet is that it's easier to load than the TC Maxiball for a 2nd shot w/o doing anything to the bore. How does the Hornady 385 load on the 2nd shot w/ a fouled bbl?

Another rreason for going to a somewhat lighter bullet is the rainbow trajectory of the 410 gr bullet...necessitates a 60 yd zero. Don't know if the slight weight difference would lower the trajectory, but am willing to experiment......Fred

Yesterday, I performed some test shootings at 50 yards with my Hornady GP bullets (same powder load).

They seem to reach the target some 5 inches above the point reached at 100 yards (without changing anything on the rifle sights). Amazing ...

But that's to be confirmed next week. As I've just changed my glasses, I'm not pretty sure of the aiming point ! Just a matter of time !

(I've just fired 10 rounds at 100 gr. .... full enough for my shoulder !)

From another hand, just have a look p.9 ...
http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/uploads/riviste/6dpmag8.pdf

That gives very interesting informations about the effect of different bullet shapes on games.

... and just to add : we're not allowed to carry any handguns in France ... even for hunting ... and even a beautiful Remington !! :redface:

Philippe

Last edited by a moderator:
Only experience, with a great plains bullet was a few years ago out of a .45 caliber. Shot was about 25yds, quartering away, she went whop ... as in straight down, complete penetration.

I've shot 2 wild hogs with my crossbow at about 35 yards for both of them, and their first instinct was to run. They didnt know I was there, so their instincts kicked in telling them to run, so that should be the same case for you. Plus if you make a good headshot on the boar, you wont have to worry about it moving :thumbsup:

No, it is not the answer. Put all of your focus into making a good first shot. Keep off that shoulder point a few inches. Then drive that bullet hard with a full load. Don't be afraid to use a roundball it will kill them well with a lung/heart shot. They are pigs, not rhino. Any muzzleloading projectile over .50cal at a reasonable velocity will knock the stuffing out of them. Have confidence in your equipment. Learn to be a confident shot and patient with your placement. Some days we shoot a few dozen pigs. None of them are Kevlar. Don't overthink it. Don't fall into reinventing the wheel. If you are still concerned then make up a couple of ready to load speed loaders out of plastic tube.

It seems I have read more good results when using PRBs vs conicals within 100-125 yds. The RB's just seem to do more damage according to those who tell. Maybe because they are traveling faster and expand more quickly?

I intend on going with what the majority state and hunt with PRB. They convinced me that the funky little spheres are more than adequate.

There was a guy on ebay a few years back that had cases of 50 cal 385 gr buffalo bullets (900 count) for $40. Shipping almost doubled the cost. Came out to less than 8 cents each. Should have seen the UPS guy taking them out of the truck :haha:

I stocked up and was glad I did. I figured if they would not shoot in my guns they could be made into RBs.

TOTW has 54 (435 gr RN) and 50 (350/385/410 gr HP), listed for sale but the 50 are listed as closeout

Well ... I'll be confident in my Hawken with Hornady GP bullet.

I'm sure there is no lack of energy : resulting of my 10 shots of last Wednesday, I have now a big bruise on my right shoulder following the butt shape !!

I have to find some leather shield ... otherwise I wont go far like that with my trials !

To go back to the choice of RB vs conical ... I fear I've not the choice. RBs seem not to be allowed for hunting in France ... why ? I don't know. Nothing is really obvious in our regulations !

Just to say again, these trials described page 9 of this Pedersoli magazine give very useful informations about the compared effects of a RB, a Lyman GP and a modern bullet ... just have a look ! :)

http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/uploads/riviste/6dpmag8.pdf

Philippe

Last edited by a moderator:
Back