• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hornary or Speer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pierre a' Fusil said:
I also have Warren/Ozone Mt. .610s and they have some serious, visible to the naked eye, out-of-round issues. Considering how expensive they are that's pretty sad.

I don't find any measurable difference between Hornady & Speer for casual paper punching or hunting.

I have likewise used the Warren/Ozone swaged balls in .648 diam and these have very obvious "flats"... but are they more noticeable because of the larger diameter? OR is it just that their equipment doesn't make them more rounded? I shoot them from a .67 smoothbore and they do work well within the range of the gun. I recently found an old .648 mould, so I'll be casting my own from now on. It got pretty expensive shooting lots of those distorted spheres!

I agree with your comments about the Hornady vs. Speer also--with regard to those particular uses.

Regards, and shoot safely,
WV_Hillbilly

I not only noticed that the Speers are slightly rounder, but also that the Hornadys were very slightly larger at their maximum measurement. So, I might switch from one brand to the other depending on the brand (or batch) of patch I have lubed up and how they happen to be shooting at the time.
I've only bought one box of Buffalo Balls, and I liked them so much that I stashed them away for a "special" occasion or until I find more. :grin:
Since I usually only plink, I don't have any problem using Remington Golden Balls either, especially if I find them on clearance. Somebody has to shoot those things...and I generally try not to discriminate between brands without some sort of justification.

Back