• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How accurate can patched round ball be?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can it be done, sure, but I don't think with any regularity on purpose. The pic I attached is fired at 125 yards with a .54 Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken, about 1.25" CTC. Usually shoots 2.5" or so at 100 yards. I think the hard part is wind. I get 1 hole groups consistently at 50 yards, .5" or better, but by the time it travels another 50 the wind has messed everything up. On a dead calm day, from a bench, my RMH will usually keep all shots on a playing card, with an occasional group like the one pictured.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200524-144710_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200524-144710_Gallery.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 94
wow- some phenomenal shooting skill here. once upon a time i could hit an e- type offhand with a rack grade M16 at 350 yards, but that was a long time ago ... now, if i can just keep it inside 6 or 7 inches at 100 yards, i'm happy

Is it possible to have a patched round ball rifle shoot 1" groups at 100 yards?
at a Provincial match, one of the shooters made a 49XXX. 100 yards, offhand; prb from a Fraser River Hawken 50 cal. Set a record that I doubt will ever be broken. Possibly a tiny bit over 1". Off a rest, I'm sure someone with eyes like that could beat 1".

I bet off hand most of us would be proud of that. I don’t shoot off hand for a reason. And a hundred yards is fifty yards beyond my shooting these last twenty years

Ned Roberts and Walter Cline, both their books show 20 and 40 rod range. 110 to 220 yards. Maybe some are using conicals, but they are incredibly impressive groups.
Im sitting in a deer blind, when I get home i'll post a few pics from their books.

Is it POSSIBLE? Yes. Can most shooters do it? NO.

Can it be done, sure, but I don't think with any regularity on purpose. The pic I attached is fired at 125 yards with a .54 Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken, about 1.25" CTC. Usually shoots 2.5" or so at 100 yards. I think the hard part is wind. I get 1 hole groups consistently at 50 yards, .5" or better, but by the time it travels another 50 the wind has messed everything up. On a dead calm day, from a bench, my RMH will usually keep all shots on a playing card, with an occasional group like the one pictured.

I like your target!!

I had a Tennessee poor boy that shot better with a patch rd ball at 100 yards than some of my center fired rifles.

I am confident it shot close to 1”@100yards with the right shooter.

Latest posts

Back